- Plans and implements safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, including Cal OSHA rules and regulations, including OSHA logs, PSM’s, forklift training, and any other regulatory safety related programs.
- Plans and implements programs to train managers and employees in work site safety practices, fire prevention, and correct handling techniques for chemicals, toxins, equipment, and other materials.
- Inspects organization facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, determines corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Provides information, signs, posters, barriers, and other materials to warn of potential and actual safety hazards and to prevent access to hazardous conditions.
- Investigates the root causes of accidents and injuries and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations.
- Compiles and submits accident reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Trains plant supervision in accident investigation and analyzes accident and first aid trends.
- Maintains permits and records as required by regulatory agencies and insurance companies.
- Maintains a good working relationship with individual inspectors and compliance officers.
- Trains sanitation employees to handle chemicals safely through SSOP's and the use of PPE's.
- Maintains the plant maintenance work order system.
Language Skills - Bi-lingual ability preferred. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret spreadsheets, data, general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills - Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations - Must be forklift certified.
Other Qualifications - Individual must be available to work extended hours daily hours and weekends during the production season. Individual needs to be available afterhours and on weekends to resolve problems, questions or issues that may arise.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Analytical - Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information. Bi-lingual communication skills preferred.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Computer Skills - basic ability to build and navigate spreadsheets and implement basic data analysis, understand on-line regulatory reporting and investigate on-line resources .
Managing/Interacting with People - Includes peers and internal customers in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Solicits employee feedback and applies to solutions; Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Quality of Work Product - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time. Ability to rotate to shifts that exhibit the greatest need for accident investigation and preventive need.