WHO WE ARE:
Headquartered in Bakersfield, California, Grimmway Farms traces its roots to a Southern California produce stand opened by the Grimm brothers in the early 1960s. Grimmway is a global produce leader and the world’s largest producer of carrots. Grimmway also supplies more than 65 organic USA-grown crops, and brands include Cal Organic Farms and Bunny-Luv. Grimmway is committed to caring for customers and employees, honoring sustainable practices and preserving natural resources for future generations.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are seeking a VP of Food Safety that will be responsible for the development, oversight, implementation, and management of all facility and farming food safety programs. This position serves as the primary liaison with federal and state regulatory agencies in all matters related to food safety. This position reports to the SVP, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary.
- Masters in Microbiology, Food Science, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences or related field is required. Ph.D. in Microbiology, Food Science, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences or related field preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a food safety related position, including necessary qualifications and experience as a preventative controls qualified individual.
- Must be experienced and knowledgeable in the areas of food safety, product safety, document control, and regulatory issues, with a preference for experience pertaining to raw and processed agricultural commodities.
- Candidate must have extensive knowledge of FSMA, Good Agricultural/Manufacturing Programs, HACCP/HARPC and Global Food Safety Initiative audit schemes.
- Experience supervising and managing staff, including general knowledge of relevant employment laws and wage and hour requirements.
- Key competencies include high degree of professional ethics and integrity, strong analytical and problem solving skills, sound judgement and decision-making abilities, strong interpersonal communication skills, project management acumen, and ability to interact positivity with all levels of employees.
- Must have experience creating, updating, and implementing food safety programs, working with the FDA and regulatory agencies (including audits and inspections), negotiating customer food safety requirements, retaining and contracting with food safety consultants and vendors, and navigating through third-party food safety audits and certifications.
- Statewide and national overnight travel, to other facilities and growing areas, will be required on a seasonal basis.
- Must be able to read, understand, and present information in English.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean DMV driving record.
- Must pass pre-placement drug/alcohol screen and background screen.
ADDITIONAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Please complete the employment application and attach your cover letter and resume.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Design, implement, monitor, and validate new and existing food safety plans, programs, procedures, protocols, and testing at company facilities and farming locations and ensure their compliance with all relevant requirements.
- Work collaboratively with plant operations teams, relevant business leaders, and QA/FS personnel to ensure company facilities and farms are in compliance, are prepared for both scheduled and unannounced government, regulatory, third party, and customer food safety audits, and to execute food safety programs, policies, and plans.
- Provide necessary training and leadership to facility and farm QA and FS teams to ensure a clear understanding of company-wide food safety initiatives.
- Develop and direct company preventative controls, including without limitation, process controls, food allergen policies and practices, chlorine monitoring, control of chemicals and sanitation, environmental monitoring, and the supplier approval process.
- Collect, track, and analyze related data to ensure compliance with food safety plans. • Monitor and audit facility and farm performance relative to food safety requirements. • Perform root cause analysis and develop and present recommendations on corrective/preventive actions on any food safety issues.
- Oversee the food safety lab and manage related staff.
- Maintain food safety system documentation.
- Additional projects and duties as they relate to this position.
Must be able to remain in a stationary position throughout much of the working day. Ability to move about inside the office, in food processing facilities, and in the farming fields. Ability to operate a computer and other office productivity equipment. Ability to work outdoors. Ability to visually inspect equipment and product. Must be able to work in different temperatures (working temperatures as hot as 100° to 110° F and as cold as -20° F to 32° F); must be able to work in a high noise area.