From its headquarters in Salinas, Markon Cooperative, Inc. provides fresh produce purchasing, logistics, information and marketing services exclusively to its five member distributors (Ben E. Keith Foods, Gordon Food Service, Gordon Food Service Canada, Nicholas & Company, and Shamrock Foods Company) and their foodservice customers. A leader in food safety, quality control and innovation, Markon is also mindful of the produce industry's impact on people – from field workers to consumers. At Markon, we put people first, and we offer a culture that values team work, loyalty, and a commitment to excellence. Learn more about Markon at Markon.com.
We are seeking an experienced Controller to lead Markon’s Finance Department. This key executive position reports to the CEO and manages the department’s daily operations and financial functions in accordance with current state and federal laws and regulations, including the control and coordination of accounting, auditing, budgets, taxes and related activities.
Our ideal candidate will have a fresh produce background and experience in process improvements and ERP system management. The selected candidate will possess the ability to effectively lead and motivate others and be able to perform at the highest levels while diving into the smallest details in an ever-changing environment. Essential responsibilities include:
Manages procedures and systems pertaining to all financial matters including:
- Coordinates all accounting functions including deposits, banking, accounts payable & receivable, payroll and general ledger and maintains all accounting records
- Develops Markon’s annual budget and provides periodic forecasts and monthly analysis of actuals against budget
- Reviews activity reports and financial statements to determine progress in attaining objectives and plans in accordance with current conditions
- Ensures adequate internal accounting controls and proper safeguarding of company assets
- Oversees annual audit of financial books
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local tax matters including Federal and State returns along with local property tax filings.
- Works with IT Director to ensure proper functioning of ERP system, including control of master data and system enhancements including system implementations and upgrades.
- Oversees company insurance programs
- Responsible for 401(k) and Health benefit program administration
- Administers office building management and procurement of office supplies
- Participates in key decisions as part of the Executive Leadership Team
- In coordination with the CEO, develops performance measures that support the company’s strategic direction
- Provides timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and trends in order to assist the CEO, Board of Directors and other senior staff in decision making
- Oversees the hiring, training, evaluation and work of Finance staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and at least 5-7 years of increasingly responsible related supervisory work experience; MBA or CPA and produce industry experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with ERP systems implementation and upgrades
- Expert level computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and the ability to quickly learn new software
- Strong technical accounting in GAAP Policies and Procedures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to identify and resolve problems independently and with sound judgment
- Ability to consistently demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness and d¬ependability
- Successful completion and clear results of thorough background check
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried exempt position. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including employer subsidized health, vision and dental insurance, bonuses and 401K. PTO accrual and paid holidays from date of hire.