At Pacific Trellis Fruit, we supply fresh, healthy, and great tasting fruit to our communities through our partnerships with retailers and wholesalers throughout the United States. We care deeply about our products, how they are sourced and grown, and that includes respecting our planet and its resources as well as those who live on it now and in the years to come. We support global environmental and social responsibility programs. Pacific Trellis Fruit is committed to a greener planet by working with growers that are Rainforest Alliance Certified™ and Fair Trade Certified™.
Pacific Trellis Fruit is one of North America’s top year-round growers and importers of premium fresh fruit, including melons, grapes, peaches, plums, nectarines, citrus, and cherries. We partner with growers in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Morocco, Peru, South Africa, and Spain, as well as domestic farmers across the United States. Our corporate headquarters is in Los Angeles, CA, with sales offices in Fresno, CA, Gloucester, NJ, and Tucson, AZ. Pacific Trellis owns and manages the renowned Dulcinea brand. Dulcinea is the pioneer of the PureHeart® personal seedless melons as well as the Tuscan Style® Cantaloupe, and Pacific Trellis has recently expanded the brand to pack grapes, citrus, cherries, and stone fruit. In 2020, Pacific Trellis fruit became the exclusive marketer and distributor of the KISS line of melons.
We’re in a rapidly growing and evolving industry and searching for a leader that is willing to tackle a challenge with rewarding experiences and be expected to help grow ideas and become a great team contributor.
Your role and potential!
The HR Director/Manager leads the development, implementation and coordination of policies and programs covering employee relations, performance management, payroll, wage and salary administration, workers’ compensation, organizational development, recruiting, orientation, training, safety, health and benefits and employee support services. Partners and advises management and employees. Leads compliance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations. The Human Resource Leader maintains strategic agility and applies appropriate solutions considering the cyclical and unpredictable nature of a volatile fresh produce environment.
The ideal candidate is a quick study, utilizes a hands-on approach and is highly motivated to grow with the organization.
This position reports directly to the CEO, manages a team of two direct reports and provides support to over 80 full-time employees.
- Responsible for human resource activities throughout all locations including the development and implementation of corporate policies and procedures.
- Champion Pacific Trellis’ vision, mission and culture by setting a positive example and reinforcing the company values in others.
- Facilitate the creation and communication of a compelling and strategically sound human resources vision including personnel philosophy and long-rang program for staffing and organizational planning.
- Evaluate the overall organization to determine strengths and weaknesses; provides recommendations for all key areas involving human capital and corresponding programs.
- Utilize both internal and external sources to create an ongoing system to benchmark industry-wide standards for “best practices,” then lead the organization to narrow any gaps.
- Create and maintain an effective working relationship with the executive team and all departments that emphasizes open dialogue, personal chemistry and a team approach.
- Analyze key human resources data (turnover, safety, etc.); proactively provide updates to the executive team.
- Educated on all new human resources developments that could impact the organization including tax, wage, hiring and benefits issues.
- Conduct regular audits of policies, procedures and implementation to ensure compliance with the most up-to date regulatory mandates and laws
- Draft and/or approve policies, procedures and employee handbooks.
Employee Engagement and Talent Development
- Recruit, motivate and manage an effective team of human resource professionals and support staff.
- Promote mentoring and leadership that engender a team environment.
- Be a trusted force within the organization; work diligently to help employees company-wide grow and improve including providing guidance where needed.
- Maintain overall supervision of the company’s recruitment, placement, training and retention programs.
- Conduct and teach others to conduct employee training on issues including orientation, constructive discipline, and company policy training and adherence.
- Address employee complaints, suggestions and appeals of employment through an open-door policy.
- Develop and direct various policies and activities designed to promote and maintain a high level of employee morale including career development, external education and employee relations.
- Play a key role in developing and implementing workplace safety programs; oversee worker’s compensation and claim management procedures.
Benefits and Compensation
- Recommend and administer incentive plans including compensation structure and health and retirement benefits.
- Provide input to help ensure that the company’s compensation program is competitive, equitable, and compliant.
- Exercise general supervision over all company benefit programs and services including the health insurance, and 401k.
- Stay informed of new trends in alternative methods of compensation and changes in tax law.
- Ensure maintenance of all pertinent documents, records and information systems.
- Process, verify and maintain documentation relating to recruitment, training, grievances and performance evaluations.
- Maintain and manage employee data records including addresses, earnings, absences, supervisory reports on performance, dates of and reasons for terminations, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the team!
- Enthusiasm to learn products and service offerings.
- Independently multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively.
- Detail-oriented approach with the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, report generation, and analysis.
- Team Player, assertive, friendly, and effective collaboration, and communication skills required.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt and function effectively in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills.
- Strong computer literacy and experience with human resource systems.
- Passion for excellence; driven to improve both personal, team and organizational performance.
- Ironclad integrity; must be impeccably honest and trustworthy.
- Tactful; able to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Compassionate; able to empathize with people and work together to create solutions.
- Problem solver capable of applying logic to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems to develop timely and pragmatic solutions.
- Exceptional manager and team builder; the ability to inspire.
- Great listener; a “people person” with extraordinary interpersonal and management skills; treat people at all levels of the organization fairly with dignity and respect.
- Strong negotiator; effectively utilize techniques to gain support for recommended programs.
- Must possess professional presence, maturity and credibility with all.
Education / Experience / Certifications
- BA or equivalent degree from an accredited institution, in Human Resources or related field or equivalent years of experience (required).
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution, in Human Resources or related field or equivalent years of experience (preferred).
- 10+ years of experience working as a salaried (exempt) HR Professional (required).
- 5+ years of management experience in managing a HR Department and Team (required).
- Professional in Human Resources Certification (PHR) or SHRM-CP) (preferred).
- Experience in the produce industry (strongly preferred) or agriculture environment (preferred).
- Bi-Lingual Spanish (preferred).
Physical Requirements and Working Environment
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk, standing, speaking on the phone, and working on a computer.
Occasional local and overnight travel to operational facilities and offices as required.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.