Ratto Bros, Inc. is a 100-year-old family-owned farming operation selling vegetables and leafy greens to retailers and packers throughout the U.S. As a vertically integrated grower, packer, and shipper, we have full control over every aspect of our business that allows us to stay true to our ongoing commitment to provide the freshest, safest, and highest quality produce on the market.
The Ranch Manager will be responsible for the total management of all crops on Ratto Bros Ranches. The expectation of this role is to ensure all of our ranches are in optimal condition for crop growth by overseeing all grow activities such land prep, planting, cultivating, fertilizing, irrigating and pest control applications. You will ensure practices and protocols lead towards consistent and high quality crops that contribute towards profitability and growth of the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to direct reports to ensure all farming operations such as ground prep, planting, cultivating, irrigating, fertility and pest control applications lead to commodities being grown at the highest yield and lowest cost. Evaluate current farming practices and make recommendations based on the results of the evaluation.
- Manage quality control for all Ratto Bros commodities to ensure crops quality specifications are being met.
- Ensure crop rotations and timing practices are cost efficient and lead to the best utilization of ranches & blocks for scheduling purposes.
- Physically inspect the growing progress of all siteID’s in order to make sound and accurate farming decisions. Seek and incorporate new technologies and capabilities into daily operations to improve growing operations
- Oversee pest control program to ensure crop health and provide analysis to Control Advisor to ensure spray applications eliminate pests.
- Prepare reports for management regarding farm conditions, crop yields, machinery breakdowns, or labor problems.
- Collaborate with greenhouses to meet trial needs.
- Analyze soil conditions to determined crop-acre allocations.
- Develops and maintains effective communications between Management, other employees, and any other individuals that affect the operations of the farm.
- Analyze usage reports (fertilizer, spray, seed, and labor) and determine improvements and efficiencies.
- Oversee all soil fumigant applications.
- Maintain accurate, detailed records of all crop production.
- Coordinate and be responsible for all compliance with Food Safety and Organic SOPs, chemical use and requirements, environmental affairs, as well as governmental and administrative issues (CDFA, DPR).
- Coordinate with Ranch Operations Manager and accounting team to develop crop budgets and manage crop input costs.
- Analyze all growing activities and implement improvements for increases crop production, quality and efficiency.
- Balance yield, quality and production costs per carton of all crops.
- Maintain accurate, detailed records of all crops from ground prep to ready to harvest yields
- Assist direct reports to organize and schedule weekly workflow so that the farming operation runs smoothly and efficiently. Plan and schedule the next week’s cultural operations communicating this plan to employees.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting of operational issues regarding equipment and personnel to Ranch Operations Manager and Human Resources department.
- Work with Shop Manager to oversee the repair and maintenance of all equipment necessary to accomplish farming operations. This also includes keeping equipment in excellent condition while minimizing cost.
- Provide mechanical expertise and support to all crop equipment and machinery
- Ensure proper safety protocols are followed by all employees and monthly safety meetings are implemented and attended.
- Collaborates with Ranch Operations Manager to develop and implement plans for operational efficiency gains.
- Maintain inventory and work with the Ranch Manager to ensure efficient usage.
- Ensure that the growing team maintains safety compliance with all local state, federal and regulatory agencies
- Ensure proper safety policies are followed by all employees and conduct safety tailgate meetings.
- Must be able to act as liaison between multiple departments: Food Safety, Sales, Harvesting, Cooling
- Other duties as assigned.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.