The Mathisons are a close-knit family with a farming story that goes back 100 years and six generations.
They’ve proudly owned and operated Stemilt Growers in Wenatchee, WA since 1964. Stemilt grows, packs, and markets World Famous apples, pears, cherries, peaches, nectarines, apricots, and organic fruits. It’s even home to special fruit varieties like Rave® apples and Skylar Rae® cherries.
We have an immediate opening for a Chief Financial Officer to join us in Wenatchee, WA.
The Stemilt Group of companies is a family-owned organization dedicated to cultivating people and delighting consumers. We do this by nurturing greatness in our people and products as we serve the agricultural community and food markets of the world. Stemilt is headquartered in the vibrant community of Wenatchee, Washington. Our story began over 100 years and six generations ago, tracing our company roots back to 1893. Stemilt has become an industry leader, and we aspire to continue elevating our market position through organic growth and acquisitions.
We are looking for a dynamic member of the senior Leadership Team to help guide and manage the organization in its next stage of growth, in support of our aspiration to be the #1 tree fruit company in the country. The CFO is responsible for participating with the senior Leadership Team in setting strategy and capital allocation directives, managing the financial activities of the entire group of companies, and for continuous improvement and oversight of financial operations, including cost accounting and reimbursement principles relating to the agriculture industry, all in accordance with GAAP, and in keeping with the goals, objectives and culture of the organization.
Competitive Benefit Package which includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Pharmacy Insurance, 401 K, Paid Vacation, Holiday Pay, and other benefits. EOE AA.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization’s fiscal function.
- Participate in the development of the organization’s strategy, plans and programs.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory interaction.
- Develop and advise on cost accounting and reimbursement strategies.
- Develop credibility for the finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, forecasts, and financial reports that will assist the president, the board and other senior team members in managing their responsibilities.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization.
- Establish credibility throughout the organization and with the board as an effective problem solver; be viewed as approachable and as a mentor on financial issues.
- Continual improvement of the budgeting and forecasting process through the application of technology, and education of department managers on financial issues impacting their budgets.
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the organization, e.g., evaluation of potential alliances acquisitions and/or mergers, and pension funds and investments.
- Optimize the handling of banking and depository relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance and manage cash position.
- Continuous development of enterprise cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism, including thresholds, goals and targets to protect and optimize operating needs of the organization.
- Ensure continual improvement of the timeliness and accuracy of the organization's cash flow, working capital and billing process.
- Evaluate the finance division structure and team plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group as well as providing individuals with professional and personal growth opportunities.
- May be asked to oversee and lead the Human Resource and Cultural Development or other departments of the organization.
- May be asked to be responsible for management of the company in the absence of the President/CEO and Executive VP.
- Assure legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor company’s compliance with laws and regulations.
- Identify and address financial risks and opportunities for the company.
- Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of the company.
- Financial Management.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Capital allocation.
- Business Acumen.
- Project Management.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Presentation Skills.
- Ethical Conduct; Collaboration.
- Ability to inspire confidence and create trust.
- Ability to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively and delegate.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Technology related to financial and operational reporting.
- Technical Capacity.
To be successful, the right candidate should have CFO or similar senior management experience in a company with complex financials (preferably multiple business segments with vertical integration) and an extensive balance the country.
If you are supremely curious about finding new opportunities, if you are deeply strategic and analytical, if you desire to lead and inspire as an agent of change and continuous improvement, if your purpose is to help bring out the best in your team, if you are a chronic learner, optimist, realist, and have a growth mindset, then please send us a resume.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Accounting or Finance; and 7 or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Accounting software; Payroll systems; and Microsoft Office software.
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and knowledge of Statutory accounting principles.
- CPA or CMA preferred.
- Tax knowledge preferred.
- Ability to design and oversee calculations of figures and amounts such as discounts, rates of return, direct and indirect costs, commissions, proportions, percentages, and the ability to apply these concepts to practical situations.
- Ability to comprehend and digest complex financial information, condense and communicate that information to other members of the senior management team and to subordinates
- Ability to evaluate financial performance and recommend corrective actions and/or strategic improvements.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all financial stakeholders (equity shareholders, debt providers, etc.).
- Ability to analyze complex financial asset transactions, including business mergers and acquisitions, with a framework of required returns on capital.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, lenders, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to teach and ability to lead.
- Ability to collaborate with other senior leaders to set strategy and assess business opportunities.