Upstarts has been growing and distributing organic seedlings since 1989. Located in the heart of the Monterey Bay, we operate two large greenhouses in Watsonville. Our primary focus is supplying seedlings to wholesale buyers at nurseries in the Napa Valley, and San Francisco and Monterey Bay areas. One of the first bedding growers to be certified organic in the state of California, we have been certified by the California Certified Organic Farmers (CCOF) since 1991.
We have an immediate opportunity for an Organic Nursery Manager to join our team in Watsonville, CA.
The successful Nursery Manager plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates daily activities for production of horticultural crops. Primary focus is growing of organic seedlings. This position includes materials, personnel and facility management, logistics, capacity planning and other activities related to oversight of the financial performance.
- BS in horticulture or related field preferred.
- 5 years of experience as an Organic Grower required. Management experience in the Organic field highly preferred.
- Must have strong managerial experience and be able to work and lead a multitude of different personalities.
- Must possess the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment.
- Need to be a detail oriented team player with strong organizational and communication skills.
- Must have experience in the greenhouse industry and understand the complexities and challenges of such.
- Must have knowledge of SOP’s.
- Candidates must be in good physical condition and able to work outdoors for extended periods of time if needed.
- Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards and set a positive example for co-workers.
- Current first aid/CPR certification, or ability and willingness to obtain one.
- Must be vaccinated for Covid-19, or be willing to be within 2 weeks of hire.
If you feel you have what we’re looking for, we’d love to talk!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.