With the most diverse avocado-growing footprint in the world, Westfalia Fruit is recognised as the #avoexperts, not only growing our own fruit but also sourcing, ripening, packing, processing and marketing quality avocados year-round. Our multinational Group markets a comprehensive range of fresh produce from across the globe, making full use of our vertically-integrated supply chain ‘from pit to plate’ to meet and exceed our customers’ expectations. We are the supplier of choice to both retail and wholesale customers, served from sales offices in the UK, Europe, North America, Latin America and southern Africa. Westfalia’s commitment to environmental and social sustainability is part of our heritage that spans over seven decades and incorporates the principles of our founder, Dr Hans Merensky.
Westfalia Fruit offers unique opportunities for individuals to pursue their goals and to excel and grow intellectually in order to attain personal and professional wellbeing. Being a multinational organisation, we recognise the importance of diversity and believe that a career with Westfalia can open a world of opportunity and career growth.
Throughout our integrated business – from our dedicated scientists using leading-edge technology in our laboratories and nurseries; our horticulturalists in our orchards; our engineers and technologists in our packhouses, ripening and processing plants; right up to our vibrant and dynamic marketing teams – the continuing success of the Westfalia Fruit brand relies on our committed employees. Investment in training, development and education of employees and their dependents is an important part of Westfalia’s business. Employees are encouraged to improve their skills and qualifications. Bursaries are made available for tertiary studies, and crèche and wellness centre facilities provided on several of our sites.
We now have an immediate opening for a Ripening Assistant to join our team in Oxnard, CA.
The Ripening Assistant will assist the Ripening Manager in ensuring the quality and safety of products and the ripening of fruit.
This position is a key role within a fast-growing fresh produce company and requires a candidate who is passionate about quality and keen to learn. The responsibilities below would involve a training period to become familiar with techniques and systems.
This position is responsible for assisting in the operation of the department. An individual in this department will be expected to perform additional job-related responsibilities and duties throughout the facility as assigned and/or as necessary. The candidate should be detail oriented and good with reading and reporting numbers.
The employer provides a safe, stable and reliable work environment, competitive pay, excellent benefits, 401K and paid vacation.
Westfalia is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by law.
- Conduct required quality inspections which involves accurately pressure testing fruit to ascertain its ripeness
- Completing ripening logs
- Ripen fruit to customer specifications in a timely manner whilst minimizing loss
- Cool ripening pallets at the right time to avoid over-ripening
- Follow and help maintain SOPs to ensure food quality and safety
- Maintain food safety systems and documentation as required for food safety audits
- Inspect and report on raw material arrivals against the intake specification
- Inspect and report on shipped products against the customers specification
- Update on the product quality in the cold store
- 2 years (Minimum) fresh produce quality control experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Must be able to compile, analyze and present data
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team
- Must be willing and able to work weekends as shifted.
- Must be willing to work in cold environment (38oF) (company provides necessary PPE)
- Must be able and willing to complete a pre-employment background check and drug screen
- Must continually meet and exceed internal expectations through teamwork, respect and willingness to help and support others
- Demonstrate complete commitment to a culture of safety. Promoting a safe work environment through personal actions and identifying any safety concerns
- Treat all team members with respect while demonstrating a positive work attitude
- Take initiative to continually improve performance and work processes through feedback, problem solving and generating new ideas
- Work with a sense of urgency to complete tasks safely, effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrate excellent job performance in productivity, quality, safety and attendance
- Available to work overtime as and when required
- Be able to lift 25+ pounds