Established in 1988 and based in Los Angeles, Bandwagon is a highly respected wholesale produce provider. Our mission is to provide our customers with the highest quality fresh specialty produce in all categories of fruits and vegetables from all corners of the world.
We are currently searching for an experienced PRODUCE BUYER to join our team in the Los Angeles, CA area.
Procure, select and purchase produce and specialty items for sale while maintaining optimum inventory levels to fulfill customer demand and expected service levels. Produce Buyers are expected to locate supply sources, develop grower relationships, negotiate pricing, secure freight, analyze buying trends and understand market conditions to meet company objectives. Produce Buyers are under the general supervision of the VP of Operations.
- Buyers must walk and inspect produce at LA Produce Market at the beginning of each day.
- Source, select and negotiate pricing and ensure timely delivery
- Research and communicate/introduce new items to sales staff
- Authorize vendor payments or returns
- Build and maintain grower relationships
- Understand and communicate seasonal and or growing conditions.
- Secure freight as needed.
- Set pricing, review movement, sales trends and recommend future buying/sales considerations.
- Buyers must understand and follow all company food safety, general safety and security policies. Each member must be responsible for any unsanitary condition caused by his or her own work performed and be able to clean and sanitize whenever necessary.
- Buyer must understand and be familiar with grades and conditions of various fresh specialty produce items.
- Inspect inbound product for quality, grade and defects.
- Communicate product returns if needed.
- Maintain accurate counts of quantity and product identification for optimum turns and profitability.
- Be aware of daily inventory items that may need to be moved quickly due to days on hand or quality concerns
- Must be punctual. Be aware of scheduled times for outbound loads, and work to achieve these goals. Communicate any issues relating to timeliness of delivery to supervisor.
- Appraise Assistant Buyers productivity and efficiency.
- Follow warehouse and company procedures, company safety rules and food safety and security program. Bring unsafe conditions/actions to the attention of supervisor.
- Direct Assistant Buyers and hours of work
- Help other personnel when appropriate. Support the supervisor and the rest of the team to accomplish objectives in customer service, accuracy, and productivity.
The functions have been provided as examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments described herein in order to accomplish the goals of the company at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
1. Basic reading, writing, and arithmetic skills – English and Spanish
2. 5 – 10 years wholesale produce procurement experience preferred.
3. Knowledge of the USDA grading and conditioning requirements, correct storage temperatures and specialty produce characteristics, with regard to quality and seasonal growing trends.
4. Computer literate. Produce Pro software experience a plus.
5. Great communication skills.
6. Ability to lift-up to 60 pounds safely.
7. Ability to stand for long periods of time, work in cold environments while walking Produce Market.
8. Valid California Driver’s License free of major traffic violations.
9. Be familiar with PACA rules
10. Must have established FOB relationships
- Walk LA Produce Market daily
- Normal warehouse and production environment – working in refrigerated environment.
- Office environment
* Competitive Benefits Package
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.