Established in 1988 and based in Los Angeles, Bandwagon is a highly respected wholesale produce provider. Our mission is to provide our customers with the highest quality fresh specialty produce in all categories of fruits and vegetables from all corners of the world.
We are currently searching for an experienced Produce Buyer to join our team in the Los Angeles, CA area.
In this role you will procure, select and purchase produce and specialty items for sale while maintaining optimum inventory levels to fulfill customer demand and expected service levels. Produce Buyers are expected to locate supply sources, develop grower relationships, negotiate pricing, secure freight, analyze buying trends and understand market conditions to meet company objectives. Produce Buyers are under the general supervision of the VP of Operations.
- Buyers must walk and inspect produce at LA Produce Market at the beginning of each day.
- Source, select and negotiate pricing and ensure timely delivery.
- Research and communicate/introduce new items to sales staff.
- Authorize vendor payments or returns.
- Build and maintain grower relationships.
- Understand and communicate seasonal and or growing conditions.
- Secure freight as needed.
- Set pricing, review movement, sales trends and recommend future buying/sales considerations.
- Buyers must understand and follow all company food safety, general safety and security policies. Each member must be responsible for any unsanitary condition caused by his or her own work performed and be able to clean and sanitize whenever necessary.
- Buyer must understand and be familiar with grades and conditions of various fresh specialty produce items.
- Inspect inbound product for quality, grade and defects.
- Communicate product returns if needed.
- Maintain accurate counts of quantity and product identification for optimum turns and profitability.
- Be aware of daily inventory items that may need to be moved quickly due to days on hand or quality concerns.
- Must be punctual. Be aware of scheduled times for outbound loads, and work to achieve these goals. Communicate any issues relating to timeliness of delivery to supervisor.
- Appraise Assistant Buyers productivity and efficiency.
- Follow warehouse and company procedures, company safety rules and food safety and security program. Bring unsafe conditions/actions to the attention of supervisor.
- Direct Assistant Buyers and hours of work
- Help other personnel when appropriate. Support the supervisor and the rest of the team to accomplish objectives in customer service, accuracy, and productivity.
- Walk LA Produce Market daily
- Normal warehouse and production environment – working in refrigerated environment.
- Office environment
* Competitive Benefits Package