Established in 1988, Bandwagon is a highly respected wholesale produce provider. Our mission is to provide our customers with the highest quality fresh specialty produce in all categories of fruits and vegetables from all corners of the world.
As the Produce Buyer, you will select and purchase produce and specialty items for sale while maintaining optimal inventory levels to fulfill customer demand and expected service levels.
We are seeking someone who can locate supply sources, develop grower relationships, negotiate pricing, secure freight, analyze buying trends, and understand market conditions to meet company objectives.
Your key responsibilities:
- Walk the LA Produce Market and inspect produce at the beginning of each day
- Purchase, source, select and negotiate pricing to ensure timely delivery
- Research and communicate/introduce new items to sales staff
- Build and maintain grower relationships
- Understand and communicate seasonal and/or growing conditions
- Secure freight as needed
- Understand and communicate pricing, product movement, sales trends, and future buying/sales considerations
- Inspect inbound product for quality, grade and defects when needed
- Maintain inventory and product identification for optimum turns and profitability
- Support team to accomplish objectives in customer service, accuracy, and productivity
A successful Produce Buyer will need to have:
- Knowledge of USDA grading, conditioning, and correct storage temperatures requirements
- Knowledge of specialty produce characteristics, quality, and seasonal growing trends
- Familiarity with PACA rules
- Produce Pro software experience a plus
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience in wholesale produce buying preferred
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds safely
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, work in cold environments and walk LA Produce Market
- Valid California Driver’s License free of major traffic violations
What we will look for in a candidate:
- Integrity and ethics
- Creativity, enthusiasm, and the ability to learn
- Good negotiating skills
- A love for produce, making deals, following markets, and building relationships
- Great communication and listening skills
What we offer:
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Vision, Dental and Medical Insurance benefits
- Profit sharing plan
- Paid time off and holiday pay benefits
Apply today to learn more about this opportunity!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.