Berry People is a year-round, full-line shipper of organic and conventional berries and avocados, and owner of the Berry People® and Avo People® brands. Headquartered in Hollister, California, the company’s ownership and key alliance partners hold important production assets in California, Mexico, Chile, and Peru. Berry People operates with a strong company ethos along its entire supply chain that emphasizes complementarity, stewardship, and empathy.
Description: We have a new opportunity for an experienced, motivated, and talented individual to join our sales team as a Berry Category Manager/Buyer.
This role will require the ability to have or to quickly gain a “deep dive” knowledge of the Berry Category as a whole, including market dynamics, the competitive landscape, and the costs, margins, and players along the category vertical. The Berry Category Manager/Buyer will liaise between our grower-supplier clients, account managers, and buyer-clients to “bring together” our consolidated supply and demand with an end to optimize grower returns and buyer satisfaction, while delivering the Company’s long-term vision for a year-round, balanced portfolio of branded organic and conventional berries The right candidate will have good people and market instinct, a win-win view of both grower and buyer interests, and will “know when to hold, and when to fold” to keep product moving and the business growing for grower-supplier and buyer clients alike! As part of our team, you can expect to be challenged and supported to reach your highest potential, as we will take careful consideration of your experience, abilities, and interests to see how you might make the best contribution to our group effort. If you are looking for a vibrant and challenging workplace, then Berry People is a likely fit for you!
The ideal candidate has:
Experience & Education:
- Fresh berry category expertise highly preferred
- Sufficient knowledge of produce supply-chain operations, farming, packing, cooling, sales, etc.
- Previous commodity/category management and buying experience preferred
- Spanish/English biliteracy preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural sales & marketing or related emphasis preferred. Consideration given to combined education experience, and track Record.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to consistently make accurate forward market calls
- Creative approach to sales strategy and team management
- Must be a “hunter-gatherer” and a “closer”
- Customer service driven
- Proficient in use MS Office tools, including excel, outlook, word, etc.
- highly proficient in financial planning and analysis using excel and other shared tools.
- Clear and professional verbal and written communication
- Overcome objections & manage expectations with buyers and growers
- Budgeting, planning, and goal setting
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Ability to manage and lead people
- Proficient in ERP Software
- High Intensity, Awareness, and Agility while maintaining Detailed Accuracy
- Enjoy Fast-Paced & Volatile Produce Sales Environment
- High Emotional Intelligence & Strong Character
- Personable, Reliable, and Trustworthy
- Creative & Tenacious Problem Solver
- We offer a competitive wage, as well as premium health, dental, and vision package.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.