Calavo Growers, Inc. (“CGI”) is a global avocado-industry leader and an expanding provider of value-added fresh food serving retail grocery, foodservice, club stores, mass merchandisers, food distributors and wholesalers worldwide. The Company’s Fresh segment procures and markets fresh avocados and select other fresh produce, including tomatoes and papayas. The Renaissance Food Group (RFG) segment creates, markets and distributes a portfolio of healthy, fresh foods, including fresh-cut fruit, fresh-cut vegetables and prepared foods. The Foods segment manufactures and distributes guacamole and salsa. Founded in 1924, Calavo’s fresh food products are sold under the respected Calavo brand name as well as Garden Highway, Chef Essentials and a variety of private label and store brands.
Calavo de Mexico, a wholly owned subsidiary of CGI, includes the fresh avocado packinghouse and the Foods processing plants in Uruapan, Michoacán, employing over 2,000 personnel. Avocados de Jalisco, a majority-owned subsidiary of CGI, includes the fresh avocado packinghouse plant located in Guzman, Jalisco, employing over 100 personnel. Agricola Don Memo is a hothouse tomato operation located in Toliman, Jalisco, in which Calavo has a 50% interest.
RFG, a wholly owned subsidiary of CGI, creates, markets, and distributes nationally a portfolio of healthy, high quality fresh packaged food products for consumers via the retail channel, including national and regional supermarkets, club stores, mass merchandisers, convenience stores, and specialty/natural retailers. RFG utilizes a network of company-operated and independently-operated USDA and organic certified fresh food facilities strategically located across the U.S. RFG products include fresh-cut fruit and vegetables, fresh prepared entrée salads, wraps, sandwiches and fresh snacking products, as well as ready-to-heat entrees and other hot bar and various deli items, meals kits and related components and salad kits.
This position is responsible for directing the activities, initiatives and strategy of the internal audit function for Calavo Growers, Inc. (NASDAQ: CVGW). This function is designed to examine, measure, and evaluate the Company’s internal controls for compliance with established policies and procedures. Additionally, the position is responsible for overseeing the Company’s annual compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley Act, and will work closely with the Company’s outside internal auditor/SOX consultants as well as the Company’s Big-4 external audit firm. This role is a key member of the CFO staff and works closely in partnering with senior leaders throughout the company to assess the Calavo’s processes for identifying and managing business risks and delivering organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
- Demonstrated project management skills, including managing an audit project plan from beginning to end, bringing to resolution audit issues;
- Ability to communicate and present complex audit issues efficiently and effectively with all levels of management up to Audit Committee, external auditors, and all functions of the Company;
- Must be thoroughly familiar with internal auditing and accounting principles, risk and control principles, Sarbanes-Oxley requirements and GAAP;
- Directs the planning, execution and documentation of all operational and financial audit activities;
- Oversees the performance of audit work, including identifying and defining issues, developing criteria, reviewing and analyzing evidence, and documenting client processes and procedures;
- Coordinates timing of Internal Audit work with the process owners;
- Coordinates with the external auditors on the financial statement and SOX audits to maximize reliance of Internal Audit work;
- Directs, recommends and implements methodology changes to improve internal audit efficiencies and address changes in internal audit standards and regulatory requirements;
- Participates in annual risk assessment;
- Oversees special investigations, advisory projects, management requests and other ad-hoc projects;
- Reports periodically to the C.F.O., Senior Management and the Audit Committee regarding Internal Audit activities. Clearly articulates the risks and includes recommendations which are pragmatic and actionable;
- Provides oversight of internal audit staff including talent acquisition, retention, development, and performance evaluation. Ensures adequate department resources to execute the Internal Audit activities;
- Manages SOX compliance efforts used to support management’s assessment of internal control over financial reporting. Assists external internal auditor/SOX consultant with interim, year-end, and Sarbanes-Oxley assessments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a major in Accounting, Finance or similar degree is required. An MBA in finance or accounting or any other equivalent degree is desired, but not required.
- CPA and or CIA highly preferred; additional certifications such as CFE, CRISC, GCMA a plus.
- At least 5 years of managerial experience in an Internal Audit leadership role for companies with revenues in excess of $500 million.
- Manufacturing accounting and audit experience is required.
- Solid knowledge and experience with regulatory rules and requirements affecting the internal auditing and accounting professions (e.g., Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002).
- Prior experience with MS Dynamics or similar accounting applications desired.
- Ability and willingness to travel annually to several of the Company’s 15 US locations and to the Mexico plants is required.
- Fluency in Spanish and English (oral/written skills) is highly desired, but not required.
- Internal audit experience for Mexican Divisions of US public companies is a plus.