Charlie’s Produce is a privately owned wholesale produce company. We are the largest privately owned produce wholesaler on the West Coast, with distribution centers in Seattle, Spokane, Portland, Boise, Anchorage, Salt Lake City and Los Angeles. The secret to our 40 years of success in this industry is PEOPLE! We strive to hire the best and we reward them with a working environment that fosters loyalty, stability, innovation, and growth.
We now have an opening for a Produce Buyer to join our team in Clackamas, OR.
The Produce Buyer is responsible for the procurement of produce and other specialty product lines in the Portland division. Responsible for product order accuracy, stock levels, and managing the product line. Coordinates procurement & inventory activities with other buyers under the direction of the Purchasing Manager and GM to ensure a well-coordinated product line program offered to customers. Must be highly flexible to service needs and have an ability to work in a fast pace, closely configured work environment.
Charlie’s provides a healthy employee stock ownership program, competitive Medical/Dental/Vision and Life Insurance plans. And our newest benefit offers Pre-Paid Fully Funded College Tuition to our employees and the dependent children of our employees!
- High School diploma, 2-year college preferred.
- PC skills: AS400, Excel, 10-key.
- Some travel required: visiting growers & attending produce conventions.
- Flexibility in hours/days worked: Monday through Friday 6am to 3pm & must be available to come early & stay late as needed to cover purchasing needs.
- Must be available after-hours by phone should a product issue arise.
- Work Saturday and Sunday rotation with other buyers.
- Physical requirements: Walking thru the warehouse to take product inventory.
- Strong Math & Writing skills required to quickly multiply & add cases/pallets & calculate product cost, market and margin.
- Ability to observe and follow proper safety procedures, and a willingness to report potentially unsafe conditions.
- Minimum Five (5) years produce experience, preferably in the Portland market.
- Strong commodities knowledge, including vegetable, fruit, herbs, and grocery product lines.
- Effective interpersonal skills to communicate with customers and peers.
- Proven negotiation skills.
- Able to multi-task and work well under pressure in a day-to-day work plan.