Charlie's Produce is a privately owned wholesale produce company. We are the largest privately owned produce wholesaler on the West Coast, with distribution centers in Seattle, Spokane, Portland, Anchorage, Boise, Los Angeles and Salt Lake City. The secret to our 40 years of success in this industry is PEOPLE! We strive to hire the best and we reward them with a working environment that fosters loyalty, stability, innovation, and growth.
We have an immediate opportunity for a Produce Buyer join our team in Seattle, WA.
The Buyer position is to secure the right product, at the right price, from the right source, at the right time to enable us to profitability and competitively meet customer needs. The ideal candidate is a detail oriented team player who has experience buying fresh produce. In this key role, you will use best practices to manage all buying activities from forecasting and inventory management, to vendor management and PO reconciliation. Must be highly flexible to meet the needs of the business and have an ability to work in a fast work environment.
Essential Responsibilities Include, but Not Limited To
- Develop and maintain strong vendor relationships to ensure product supply, competitive pricing, and build long-term programs.
- Continually identify optimum sources of supply.
- Make sound purchasing decisions and manage the purchase order life cycle.
- Effectively manage inventory to ensure high service level while minimizing spoilage.
- Manage USDA inspection process when necessary.
- Support established inbound logistics procedures to facilitate product arrival.
- Communicate effectively with all departments.
- Daily walking of coolers and hands on inspection of product.
- Seek opportunity/spot buys.
- Maintain awareness of market trends, technology, and food safety.
- Maintain awareness of Company’s marketing strategies and competitive activity.
The successful candidate will have:
You enjoy collaborating. Learning from or teaching others so we can all become a more efficient operation. People love working with you because you help them up their game. You have a passion for solving complex problems, either at work or in your own spare time on your own projects. You are an excellent communicator. You are able to present your ideas in a non-technical manner and deliver on your projects. You show a strong interest in sourcing the best deal for the company and our customers. You are able to work with the purchasing team, and sales team to provide the solutions they need.
- Candidates with minimum five (5) years FOB produce buying experience strongly preferred.
- Strong vendor and commodities knowledge.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Demonstrable initiative, sense of urgency, and drive.
- Capable of multiple task management.
- Be able to set priorities, meet deadlines, and able to accomplish team objectives.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and computer competency, including Excel, Word, & Outlook.
- Ability to observe and follow proper safety procedures, and a willingness to report potentially unsafe conditions.
Charlie's provides a healthy employee stock ownership program, competitive Medical/Dental/Vision and Life Insurance plans. And our newest benefit offers Pre-Paid Fully Funded College Tuition to our employees and the dependent children of our employees after 1 year! Charlie’s Produce Total Compensation Package includes
- Competitive starting pay
- Medical/Dental/Vision after 60-days
- Supplemental retirement plan through our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Robust employee assistance program (EAP)
- 50% subsidized ORCA Passes
- Prepaid College Tuition after 1-year
- 401(k) available
Schedule: Monday - Friday (Rotating Saturday 1/2 day)
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration and if necessary the Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Charlie's Produce is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All new hires must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test- excluding THC