D & J Packing, LLC is a family-run business with more than thirty (30) years of harvesting experience in the Salinas Valley/Yuma Arizona area. We are currently looking for a dynamic, forward thinking individual with a strong background in produce harvesting to join our team as Director of Harvesting. The ideal candidate must be knowledgeable of Harvest operations in both Salinas Valley and Yuma Arizona. This position requires excellent people skills and computer skills. We provide an encouraging and motivating work environment with an attractive benefit package.
This position will be responsible for actively seeking new business and maintaining the quality of service for the current customers. Oversee all functions related to harvesting of produce with special regards to quality, timing, safety and cost effectiveness. Ensure that personnel continually improve and that progressive discipline is maintained.
- Monitor that all crew, personnel and equipment are being used in the most efficient manner to minimize cost
- Evaluate Harvest Packs based on budget
- Budgeting and negotiation of harvest operations by commodity
- Coordinate scheduling for harvesting, moving and/or insuring equipment is safe and in good repair
- Managing and following DOT compliance
- Support between office and field operations
- Monitor when, how, and by whom product is harvested
- Establishes clear communication with all harvest personnel through Foremen to ensure accuracy, timely completion and quality of work performed
- Ensures that all Harvest policies are uniformly enforced and followed
- Accurately forecast pounds/units picked daily and ensure completion of all work each day
- Ensure that effective sanitation, personal safety are established and maintained
- Identifying training needs
- Supervising and motivating a team of workers
- Ensuring that health and safety guidelines are followed
- Reviewing production worker performance
- Work with HR Department and H2A Department to ensure the recruitment needs are met through local and H2A recruitment
- Ensure continuing compliance with all government requirements, including but not limited to FDA, EPA, USDA, OSHA, DOL and EEOC. Leads and manages local and federal inspections. Works with management to develop compliance systems
- Aid with the development, implementation, and maintenance of a Food Safety Plan
- Maintain adherence to company policies, regulatory requirements, quality specifications, safety standards and sanitation practices
- Knowledge of agricultural methods, practices, and equipment
- Knowledge of harvest costs including transportation and machinery
- Have experience in executing contracts
- Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, Experience in MS Outlook calendar task scheduling.
- Ability to successfully deal with people is a must.
- Excellent communication skills are a must.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Have the ability to travel to Yuma AZ.
- Clean driving record.
- All candidates are subject to background check and driving record screening
- Four-year college degree, preferable in Agriculture, or equivalent work experience
- Over 10 years of progressive experience with agricultural field operations and harvesting that would provide the level of knowledge and ability required for the position
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary, DOE
- Full time employment
- Benefits Package
- 401(K) Program
Resume should include references.