First Fruits Farms seeks a well-organized, team-oriented professional to coordinate our Food and Worker Safety systems. This is a multi-purpose role aimed at improving the company’s safety and training programs. The Food & Safety Manager will assist the organization to implement strategic programs to manage risks inherent in growing, harvesting, storing and packing fruit. The position requires an experienced specialist with working knowledge of food safety certifications, regulatory requirements and related management systems. The candidate should be an independent, motivated self-starter who values working in a team setting. Communication and teamwork are required. Formal education and working experience in the subject areas are essential. Bilingual communication skills are a plus. This is a year-round position located near the Tri-Cities. Some travel is required to fulfill job requirements. This position reports to the Postharvest Manager.
* The specific job responsibilities and duties may shift and change over time depending on circumstances. The employee will need to be aware and supportive of this evolving process.
Strategic responsibilities include:
- Accountability: model and promote Broetje Orchards’ mission, vision, and core values.
- Technical Experience: implement, manage and maintain a successful food and worker safety program, utilizing best management practices intended to maintain a safe environment.
- Leadership: manage and direct a team to implement a food and worker safety program that meets all regulatory requirements and company goals for safety.
- Coordination: work with department managers and staff to develop and implement an effective food and worker safety program, including training programs that address regulatory requirements and company standards for safety.
- Communication: Develop communication resources to keep managers and staff informed about food and worker safety laws, regulations and company initiatives; manage safety manuals, record keeping, data collection and reports.
Specific Duties include:
- Oversee implementation of Food and Worker Safety Program and create best practices to assess performance and develop opportunities for improvement
- Develop, review and update standard operating procedures related to food and worker safety
- Ensure a workplace culture that understands, appreciates and implements safety practices
- Manage, direct and supervise the Warehouse Sanitation Team, along with a Warehouse/Orchard Food & Worker Safety Coordinator
- Primary contact for third-parties and customers with regard to Food and Worker Safety questions and concerns
- Work directly with Food Safety Team, Worker Safety Teams and Operations
- Tracks and reports audit results to Operations senior management
- Coordinates communication with department managers to assure timely and accurate reporting of food safety issues and or worker safety issues
- Implement Food Safety into leadership structure with education on microbiological performance, foreign material control, regulatory compliance and HACCP programs for fresh-fruit packing lines
Compliance & Monitoring
- Responsible for ensuring all areas of First Fruits Farms comply with company (SQF), Federal and State regulatory guidelines (USDA, FDA, FSMA)
- Oversees coordination and documentation of the food safety training programs to include: third party audits, sanitation, microbiology, pest control, allergen management, HACCP, GMP, SOP’s, and Internal Auditing
- Ensures the proper monitoring of all components of Food Security Systems
- Creates effective environmental monitoring; testing and control programs for pathogenic bacteria
- Manage reporting and communication to prepare for audits and assessments
- Stay up to date on the latest regulatory requirements, and constantly re-assess and challenge company standards to ensure the safest food supply possible
- Collaborate with Worker Safety Team and department managers to assess and improve job safety
- Organize training needs as it relates to worker safety: chemical hazard, confined space, electrical safety, fall protection, lock-out tag-out
- Coordinate incident investigation, injury reporting and analysis
- Maintain updated safety manuals and training materials
- Performs other duties appropriate to the position as requested by Management
Skills, Work Experience Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s Degree with 1-5 years’ experience in a food processing plant, with working knowledge implementing HAACP, GAP, GHP, food safety and sanitation standards
- Knowledge of USDA, FDA, FSMA, SQF, and Washington State Labor and Industries
- Experience in data management and reporting to help drive decisions
- Capable to work as a contributing team member, while being self-motivated
- Ability to implement projects under pressure
- Working experience motivating and leading teams in a positive manner
- Proficiency in English and Spanish, a plus
- Familiar and comfortable using Microsoft Office programs, specifically Word and Excel
- Travel is required to service company operations in Benton City, Wallula and Yakima