We are an Organic fruit and vegetable farm located in Pittstown NJ growing produce exclusively for our large CSA program on 50 acres of our 120-acre farm. We are seeking a Harvest Manager with previous vegetable production experience to join our team and become part of our rapidly growing business.
The Harvest Manager is responsible for handling produce from the field to the wash house. The Harvest Manager works intimately with the farm crew keeping them motivated and on-task while in the field. Harvest labor is our biggest cost so good management skills is a necessity. The best candidates will be comfortable directing and motivating others and excel at recognizing ways to improve efficiency on the fly. During the spring, the harvest manager will assist the Field Production Manager with planting and weeding operations. This position shares personnel management responsibilities with the Field Production Manager.
- Running daily harvest operations while keeping crew motivated and on-task
- Creating weekly estimates of harvest totals based on field supply
- Coordinating use of farm crew with Field Production Manager
- Meeting with Field Production Manager and Wash House Manager to discuss supply and harvest issues
- At least 2 seasons on an outdoor vegetable farm (CSA farm experience preferred)
- Ability to efficiently manage and motivate up to 20 people during harvest operations
- Solid understanding of harvest methods for all common vegetables
- Ability to identify all types of common vegetables
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to use Excel and/or Numbers documents preferred
- Ability to operate tractors and use broad range of tractor implements preferred