Sysco is the global leader in selling, marketing and distributing food products to restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, lodging establishments and other customers who prepare meals away from home. Its family of products also includes equipment and supplies for the foodservice and hospitality industries. With over 69,000 associates, the company operates approximately 323 distribution facilities across the globe and serves more than 650,000 customer locations. For fiscal year 2019 that ended July 1, 2019, the company generated sales of more than $60 billion.
We now have an opportunity for a Transportation Manager to join our team in Turlock, CA.
This is an operations position responsible for managing the activities associated with Delivery. Responsibilities include but are not limited to, expense and revenue management, compliance with government regulations, management and direction to delivery staff and safety and security of the delivery department.
- The working conditions and physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An individual should contact his or her supervisor or the Human Resources Department if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to talk and hear. The associate frequently is required to sit, stand, walk, walk up and down stairs, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The associate must occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The associate must frequently open, close and latch trailer doors, both roll up doors and swing doors. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and/or push/pull up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly exposed to fast moving motor vehicles or other mechanical equipment. The associate is frequently exposed to all types of outside weather conditions and to vehicle emissions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate with occasional higher noise levels.
- This is a full-time position. The incumbent must have the ability to work a varying schedule which might include shift work (days or nights), weekdays or weekends, and some holidays.
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We’re looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco is at the heart of food and service.
- Manages the daily work and safety of Delivery supervisors, routing personnel and other associates. Ensuring that the staff is effectively accomplishing day to day delivery activities, including driver adherence to standard operating procedures, adherence to planned routes, and providing safe and efficient customer service.
- Hire, Motivate, Discipline, Terminate, Develop, Train, coach, transportation associates. Interpreting and constantly enforcing company policy and procedures to staff. Review team’s CMP’s regularly to ensure they are on track to meet their goals.
- Communicates with sales and marketing associates to collaboratively resolve any customer or delivery opportunities or issues. Visits customer locations and meets with customers to address issues and assess delivery difficulty
- Department planning, not limited to scheduling, staffing, and budget decisions. Managing labor hours, travel, fuel and consumable supplies within budget, maximizing time and cost efficiencies. Monitor effectiveness activities to ensure all establish Key performance indicators and sales/customer satisfaction goals are met. Suggests efficiency and cost reduction measures
- Ensure transportation department’s compliance with local, state, and federal regulatory agencies (i.e. DOT, OSHA, etc.) and ensures that electronic logs are kept current and accurate.
- High school Diploma, prefer associates or bachelors in business management, supply chain or similar major.
- Working knowledge of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Ability to successfully engage and lead individual and team discussions and meetings.
- Ability to apply all relevant policies in a consistent, timely and objective manner.
- Capable of working with peers and associates from other departments, operating companies and corporate in a proactive and constructive manner.
- Ability to work in a disciplined manner and capable of following established procedures, practices and comply with local, state and federal regulations.
- Ability to manage the pressures and stress associated with a deadline oriented atmosphere and customer issues.
- Must be articulate and effective with written and verbal communication with individuals of broadly varying backgrounds and educational levels. Must have clear, concise written and oral communication skills.
- Must have ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Must have ability to effectively present information to a large audience and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, contractors, and customers.
- Must have ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, distance and volume.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. It is expected that the incumbent will be able to work in a proactive manner, address issues, and solve problems using previous education and experience in identifying appropriate actions. Problems will vary in complexity.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, organizational skills, problem solving skills and effectively interact with several different personalities and levels of people. Must be self-motivated.
- Three to five years produce industry experience. Three years of supervisory/leadership experience. Forklift and pallet experience and certification.
- Valid Class A preferred
- Completion of Sysco approved defensive driving program.