Sysco is the global leader in selling, marketing and distributing food products to restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, lodging establishments and other customers who prepare meals away from home. Its family of products also includes equipment and supplies for the foodservice and hospitality industries. With over 69,000 associates, the company operates approximately 323 distribution facilities across the globe and serves more than 650,000 customer locations. For fiscal year 2019 that ended July 1, 2019, the company generated sales of more than $60 billion.
We currently have an opening for a Transportation Specialist to join our team in Turlock, CA.
This position provides support to the transportation manager/director in supervising the activities related to delivery and backhauls. This includes, training and supervising transportation department associates, compliance with government regulations and promoting safety and security of the transportation department.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
- Regularly required to sit, talk and hear.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; bend; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, push/pull up to 350 pounds using a 2 wheeled hand cart.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those associate encounters while performing the
essential functions of the job.
- Occasionally exposed to wet, hot, extreme cold and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts and may be required to work in confined spaces.
- Works non-traditional business hours including evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and on-call.
- May occasionally be required to travel to other distribution centers or the corporate office as business needs dictate (e.g. training, meetings).
- Periodically exposed to high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We’re looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco is at the heart of food and service.
- Supervises the daily work and safety of transportation associates, including adherence to standard operating procedures, Food Safety Standards and preferred work methods, adherence to planned routes, and providing safe and efficient customer service.
- Ensures transportation associates’ comply with local, state and federal regulatory agencies (i.e. DOT, OSHA, etc.) and ensures that electronic logs are kept current and accurate.
- Oversees labor hours and consumable supplies within budget.
- Prepares work schedules including extra work days and shifts as needed.
- Assists with the training of new associates, including cross-training of existing associates.
- Direct the proper selection and utilization of company assets in support of the delivery department.
- Coordinates required repairs with proper departments as necessary.
- Reviews delivery functions and productivity reporting; suggests efficiency ideas, cost reduction measures and assists with implementation of delivery changes.
- Interprets, trains and consistently enforces company policies, protocols and procedures including but not limited to food safety, DOT, record keeping, etc.
- Communicates with warehouse and customer service teams to collaboratively resolve any customer or delivery opportunities or issues.
- Visits customer locations and meets with customers to address issues and assess delivery difficulty.
- Maintains positive associate relations through regular department or pre-shift meetings;
- Keeps open communication channels with associates by answering questions and explaining policies and procedures.
- Monitors associate morale, along with submitting and responding to ideas to improve associate engagement and enablement.
- Works with safety manager to aid in training, conducting associate observations, up-dating preferred work methods, conducting accident investigations to determine root causes and routine safety inspections.
- Makes recommendations for corrective action and/or behavior modification where required.
- Performs management functions of staff selection, development, discipline, performance reviews and/or terminations.
- Works assigned schedule, exhibits regular and predictable attendance and works outside of the normal schedule as required to meet workload demands.
- Performs the duties of associates supervised and other related duties as needed (and as qualified).
- High school diploma, general education degree (GED), or equivalent degree; or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- 2 or 4-year college degree in business management, supply chain management or similar major preferred.
- Knowledge of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, DOT rules and regulations; preferred work methods and standard operating procedures (SOP); spreadsheet software and word processing software.
- Skilled in making independent decisions in support of company policies and procedures on time.
- Ability to successfully engage and lead individual and team discussions and meetings.
- Solve practical problems and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Apply all relevant policies in a consistent, timely and objective manner.
- Work in a disciplined manner and capable of following established procedures, practices and comply with local, state and federal regulations.
- Manage the pressures and stress associated with a deadline-oriented atmosphere and customer service issues.
- Learn SYGMA technology software and programs.
- Read, comprehend, write and speak English.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide into all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Can read, analyze and interpret, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- 2-4 years of transportation experience and/or training.
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License required.
- Certificate of DOT regulations training is preferred.