This person will be responsible for the oversight and management of food safety program at fresh produce processing/handling facilities (Cal-Organic Fresh Veg).
- A minimum educational background of a bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Food Science, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences or related field is required, advanced degree preferred.
- Extensive experience is preferred in food safety management along with GMPs, regulatory compliance, and food safety audits.
- Fresh produce experience is highly desired.
- Previous staff management experience is required.
- Candidate must be certified in PCQI, HACCP, GFSI programs with clear understating of produce safety rule requirements.
- This person must be experienced and knowledgeable in the areas of fresh produce safety, document control, microbiology, and regulatory issues pertaining to food production.
- Must be knowledgeable in food processing equipment, facility hazard evaluation, risk assessment, sanitary standards, and internal compliance for sanitation.
- Lead internal audits and provide insights on improvements for gaps or weak points of safe processing of fresh produce, and compliance management.
- Must be able to develop and improve food safety plans, implementing and tracking preventive controls, validating and verifying food safety standards against FSMA requirements.
- Must be knowledgeable in mock recalls, FSQA trainings, new product approvals, food safety documentation and data analysis.
- Must be able to coordinate with vendors and auditors, timely communicate with management on food safety issues and decisions impacting cross functional teams and interaction with all levels of the organization.
- Stays current with fresh produce industry developments, new regulations, guidance documents, and best practices.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish is a plus.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean DMV driving record.
- Must pass pre-placement drug/alcohol screen.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide direction and leadership to Food Safety Department personnel.
- Provide assistance to Sales staff in handling of product complaints from both external and internal sources.
- Responsible for government, regulatory and customer audit administration.
- Troubleshoot and investigate food safety issues and interact with all customer representatives.
- Develop, train and assess the performance of food safety staff.
- Provide recommendations to management in relation to regulatory and internal compliance.
- Additional projects and duties as assigned to this position.
- Frequent travel is required to offsite facilities during November to March.
Must be able to remain in a stationary position throughout much of the working day. Ability to regularly move about inside the office and food processing facilities. Ability to operate a computer and other productivity equipment. Ability to work outdoors. Work in wet and damp environment. Ability to inspect equipment and product. Must be able to work in different temperatures (working temperatures as hot as 100° to 110° F and as cold as -20° F to 32° F). Must be able to work in a high noise area.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.