From its headquarters in Salinas, Markon Cooperative, Inc. provides fresh produce purchasing, logistics, information and marketing services exclusively to its five member distributors (Ben E. Keith Foods, Gordon Food Service, Gordon Food Service Canada, Nicholas & Company, and Shamrock Foods Company) and their foodservice customers. A leader in food safety, quality control and innovation, Markon is also mindful of the produce industry's impact on people – from field workers to consumers. At Markon, we put people first, and we offer a culture that values team work, loyalty, and a commitment to excellence. Learn more about Markon at Markon.com.
We are seeking an experienced Controller to lead Markon’s Finance Department. This key executive position reports to the CEO and manages the department’s daily operations and financial functions in accordance with current state and federal laws and regulations, including the control and coordination of accounting, auditing, budgets, taxes and related activities.
Our ideal candidate will have a fresh produce background and experience in process improvements and ERP system management. The selected candidate will possess the ability to effectively lead and motivate others and be able to perform at the highest levels while diving into the smallest details in an ever-changing environment. Essential responsibilities include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and at least 5-7 years of increasingly responsible related supervisory work experience; MBA or CPA and produce industry experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with ERP systems implementation and upgrades
- Expert level computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and the ability to quickly learn new software
- Strong technical accounting in GAAP Policies and Procedures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to identify and resolve problems independently and with sound judgment
- Ability to consistently demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness and dependability
- Successful completion and clear results of thorough background check
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried exempt position. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including employer subsidized health, vision and dental insurance, bonuses and 401K. PTO accrual and paid holidays from date of hire.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.