From its headquarters in Salinas, Markon Cooperative, Inc. provides fresh produce purchasing, logistics, information and marketing services exclusively to its five member distributors (Ben E. Keith Foods, Gordon Food Service, Gordon Food Service Canada, Nicholas & Company, and Shamrock Foods Company) and their foodservice customers. A leader in food safety, quality control and innovation, Markon is also mindful of the produce industry's impact on people – from field workers to consumers. At Markon, we put people first, and we offer a culture that values team work, loyalty, and a commitment to excellence. Learn more about Markon at Markon.com.
We are seeking an experienced, passionate Produce Buyer (Product Manager) to play a critical leadership role in the Purchasing Department. The ideal candidate will exercise high level commodity expertise, negotiation and problem-solving ability within an assigned commodity team. This position continually strives to meet the needs and expectations of customers, and to provide them with a competitive edge. Product Managers mentor and train Purchasing Coordinators by identifying daily opportunities to improve proficiencies and knowledge. Good sense of humor is a plus!
May be designated as a Pod Leader* which entails guiding a commodity team’s goals and results.
The person we’re looking for has:
- Any combination of education and experience that provide the skills needed to successfully complete the essential functions; typically, through a Bachelors or Associates degree 2+ years of produce purchasing experience. Candidates with 5+ years of produce buying experience strongly preferred.
- Strong computer skills, including database, Excel, Outlook and ability to learn new programs quickly
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service, both internal and external
- Ability to identify and resolve complex problems independently and with sound judgment
- Ability to consistently demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness, dependability, initiative, flexibility, enthusiasm and team work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to be on-call, after hours 1-3 days per month and work some Saturdays (on-call pay provided)
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. This is a full-time, salaried exempt position. Employer subsidized health, vision and dental insurance effective on the first of the month following hire. 401K contribution and profit sharing after one year of employment. PTO accrual and paid holidays from date of hire.