Second Harvest Food Bank provides over 8 million pounds of food assistance annually, to over 55,000 people per month, through its network of 200 member agencies and programs. By increasing access to healthy food, Second Harvest is making a profound impact towards growing a healthier community.
We now have an opportunity for a Warehouse Specialist to join our team in Watsonville, CA.
As a member of the Operation Team, the Warehouse Specialist plays an important role in ensuring the highest level of inventory accuracy and the overall efficiency of the warehouse. The position is responsible for accurate and efficient order fulfillment, the safe operation of warehouse equipment, loading/unloading of trucks, receiving inventory, and general maintenance and cleanup duties.
To be successful in this role, you must have:
- Two years of inventory and warehousing experience, including experience in safe food handling and storage.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish is desirable.
- Knowledge of safe food handling requirements for transport and storage.
- Knowledge of basic vehicle repair and maintenance, and related recordkeeping.
- Knowledge of inventory control practices, procedures and recordkeeping methods.
- Ability to work as a part of a team, to foster teamwork and to provide excellent service to coworkers and customers.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with people of various ages, educational, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Must have a minimal ability to use computers.
- Basic math skills.
- Forklift experience required (both sit down and stand up).
- Forklift certification strongly preferred: at a minimum, must enroll in training program immediately upon hire.
- Must have access to a motor vehicle, as well as valid auto insurance coverage, for occasional driving on the job.
- Must have valid California Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record, as documented by a current MVR (will be obtained by the Food Bank’s insurance carrier).
- It is the responsibility of all SHFB personnel to participate in our Food Safety/Food Defense programs.
This is a full-time, regular, non-exempt position. Starting salary is $17.50 an hour. Occasional weekend and evening work may be required.
We offer: For the employee: free dental and vision insurance (shared cost for dependents). Free life, long-term care, long-term disability, and AD&D insurances. Shared cost medical insurance: Kaiser and Blue Shield. Eligibility begins on the first day of month following 30 days of employment (i.e. if you are hired June 20th, you are eligible starting August 1st). This benefit package is valued at an average of over ten thousand dollars a year.
- First year: 15 vacation days, 12 sick days, and 10 holidays.
- 403(b) Retirement Plan: Second Harvest matches employee contributions up to an annual cap.
- Employee Assistance Program
JOB DETAILS: This is a full-time, regular, non-exempt position. Starting salary is $17.50 an hour. Occasional weekend and evening work may be required.
In instances of a federal, state or locally declared emergency, Second Harvest is typically considered an essential service and emergency responder; all of its employees may be called in to perform regular or emergent duties.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.