The Section Grower 2 is responsible for up to 2-10 acres of greenhouse and/or field space. They lead a team of 2-4 growers, plus seasonal irrigation staff. Responsible for developing and training team members, as well as executing direct responsibilities. They will work closely with Assistant Head Grower and Head Grower to ensure quality standards are met according to schedule.
This position requires an Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field, three or more years of growing experience, or an equivalent combination.
- Contribute to the leadership, training, and development of the growing team and staff.
- Will have a thorough understanding of moisture management, and ability to develop specific strategies to achieve targets. Will help teach other growers how to adjust irrigation strategy based on plants stage versus ready week. Uses the “Language of Watering” to communicate with staff.
- Will be able to identify many pests and diseases and communicate with IPM team to develop a treatment plan. Will direct applicators on the details of the application, such as volumes, technique, and priority.
- Strong knowledge of PGRs, specifically regarding rates, timing, techniques. Will be responsible to ensure applications are made in a timely fashion.
- Assist supervisors with monitoring environmental controls and equipment, ensuring proper conditions are being met.
- Strong interdepartmental communication required.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing, in person, via phone, and over the radio with all levels of staff.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred, both verbal and written.
- Able to monitor a climate that is run by computer, noting when it is not functioning or not set correctly.
- Moderate knowledge of plant genera and different irrigation for each.
- Able to follow the culture sheets in order to induce flowering.
- Able to follow detailed instructions and pass them to subordinates.
- Ability to work longer hours as the season requires.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize in a fast-paced working environment.
- Solid computer and Microsoft office skills.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture or related field, three or more years of growing experience, or an equivalent combination.
- Supervisory or leadership experience preferred.
- Knowledge of cool and warm genera, including frost/freeze tolerance (in field production).
- Knowledge of plants that require lighting or shading to prevent or cause flowering, including impact of ethylene pollution on flowering.
- Understands uses of different chemicals, pests, diseases, and related safety regulations.
- Experiential knowledge using fertilizers and appropriate rates for each plant and safe applications of all pesticides and fungicides.
- A valid pesticide applicator’s license must be obtained within 60 days of starting this position and kept current.
- Able to use spraying equipment.
- Knowledge of basic bedding plant identification.
- Work indoors and outdoors, in seasonal temperatures and conditions.
- Lift up to 50 pounds in an environment that is often hot.
- Continuously walk, stand, bend, kneel (and remain working below knee-level) as well as reaching overhead, and from side to side for long periods of time.