Responsible for verifying and documenting the requirements to ensure food safety. Execute daily quality activities to assess incoming materials, work-in-process / product runs, quality, labeling, final inspections, analysis and testing of finished products, and food safety-related sanitation.
- Assure that customer specifications are achieved and that the facility/Plant meets local, state, and federal food safety and health regulations.
- Partners with the operations management team to ensure food safety best practices and processes. Ensures regulatory food safety compliance.
- Verifies the daily production plan and any immediate needs to be addressed. May conduct pre-operation and other inspections, may reject materials or products, and complete environmental swabbing and quality testing.
- Maintain documentation in support of fresh food specification requirements.
- Conduct and facilitate internal and external quality audits, documenting findings and next steps.
- Work with receivers to verify the documentation of temperature and inspection of delivery trucks (Ensure accurate completion of Receiving logs). Ensure FIFO is followed, and proper allergen
- Use the PPRO app to do receiving inspections, as well as set up the app and check reports in PPRO.
- Complete established USDA swabbing and shelf-life tests of product samples as required. Calibrate test equipment-Scales and Thermometers. Ensure thermometer calibration logs are complete.
- Collect samples, fill out order sheets, pack and ship samples to the lab as required
- Maintain and organize Food Safety and Quality Assurance daily records. Maintain and monitor inventory product retains and spot-check department documentation for accuracy and compliance.
- Monitor / evaluate cleanliness and 5S standards.
- Document downtime-related problems and corrective actions taken when associated with a QA hold or action that interrupts production.
- Perform all quality checks and preventive critical control points (CCP) monitoring (temperature logs, sanitation, labeling checks, net weight, package integrity, and package integrity checks)
- Collaborates and makes recommendations on food safety and quality decisions regarding ingredient, raw product, in-process product, and finished product conformance.
- Prevents and helps with researching information for management to respond (corrective action / preventive action) and follow up to Government (Federal – USDA / FDA / etc., State, County, and City) inquiries.
- Review documents and verify plant recipes/ specifications, labeling, etc.
- Support internal and external food quality/safety audits & report and track corrective actions. Print traceability forms from the QMS.
- May track the quantity of swabs, test strips, chemicals, and other supplies for the QA dept.
- May spend time reviewing market research, trends and collaborate on projects.
- Escalates difficult matters to the QA Supervisor or QA Manager as necessary.
- Performs other duties as needed
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- College-level education or a related degree helpful
- Experience working in a chilled food environment
- Prior HACCP certification, Food Handler, and other certifications desirable
- Excellent communicator, verbally and in writing
- Proficient use of MS Office software and a working knowledge of common applications used
- Experience using Supplier Database or Product Life Cycle Management software; Produce Pro
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES.
- Knowledge of common start-up processes in a USDA factory and Good Manufacturing Procedures
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter who will be responsible for common routines.
- Ability to analyze data using spreadsheets, formulas, statistical tools, etc.
- Must be a highly organized and detail-oriented person
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment and multi-task effectively
- Demonstrates the ability to remain professional and diplomatic when working under pressure
Ability to apply logical thinking and exercise sound judgment to arrive at appropriate business decisions. This includes a sense of balance between risks involved, timeliness, cost factors and other considerations.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.