If you want to be part of a growing, innovative business with a fun, energetic, family feel, then we could be the right place for you. Are you considered an organized, self-starter and an analytical problem solver? Does your expertise come from a strong background in Agriculture? If your answer is Yes, Yes and YES, then you are someone we should be speaking with!
“People make the difference.” Therein lies the #1 secret to our company’s success. With nearly 100 years of growing, selling, and learning, our multi-generational family business is not so small anymore, but success and size has not changed our values and regard for our people. We are a top-label, year-round, grower-shipper of berries with exceptional grower relationships around the globe and top-quality farming across the U.S. (approximately 500 acres in California).
We are looking for a Payroll / Human Resources Manager to oversee all payroll and HR related functions in our California location in support of approximately 850+/- seasonal and full-time employees. This person will be responsible for ensuring company compliance with CA state employment laws, rules, regulations, and best practices while managing all employee and payroll related functions.
- Support Human Resources Director with all company related HR responsibilities as they relate to all Seasonal and Full-Time employees in California.
- Management, reporting, and documentation of all employee records including but not limited to employee registration, onboarding, offboarding and personnel file management.
- Responsible for overseeing weekly payroll submission for the CA operation; this includes overseeing the office manager’s weekly payroll import and entry, reviewing cost centers for correct coding, reviewing wages for accuracy with overtime, double time, rest and recovery time, reviewing for compliance with CA state employment and paycheck law prior to submittal to corporate for weekly processing.
- Responsible for implementation and management of sick time policies and records in compliance CA law and best practices with seasonal agricultural employees.
- Record and file all EEOC compliance documentation.
- Manage offboarding process of employees at end of season and upon separation, providing notices and guidance to employees, proper preparation of final paychecks.
- Perform thorough employee complaint investigations, document the investigation, provide professional suggestions for remediation, work with employees in the corrective actions process according to company policy and as instructed by management.
- Benefit enrollment and administration including 401K enrollments, employee benefit plan enrollments, wellness credit tracking, assistance with ACA compliance and reporting.
- Oversee and streamline payroll and HR policies and procedures amongst the two office locations in Salinas & Santa Maria, providing leadership and organization amongst the two locations.
- Manage and document all employee training in compliance with all California State laws and best practices.
- Manage all payroll processes and related documentation including EDD, FTB, IRS, CA SDU, etc.
- Manage and document all Internal audits including I-9, workers compensation, 401K, CALOSHA, DOL, DLSE.
- Effectively engage with all FTE and seasonal employees regarding all HR policies and procedures and address employee concerns and questions.
- Other tasks associated with the position and as requested by management.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA preferred
- Minimum of 5 yrs. HR and/or payroll management in an agriculture environment with seasonal and FTE employees
- Demonstrated knowledge of HR and payroll concepts specific to California Agriculture industry
- Extremely organized individual with effective communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to produce under minimal supervision
- Experience managing and mentoring a team
- PHR-CA, SHRM California Employment Law Micro Credential is ideal
- Bilingual preferred