At Fairtrade America you will work with companies, shoppers and campaigners to create a more equitable trading system for and with the producers growing products like coffee, cocoa and bananas. Fairtrade America is the US branch of the social impact organization behind the Fairtrade Mark. This product label shows shoppers that farmers and workers in the regions we work (Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa and the Middle East, and Asia and Asia Pacific) are getting a fairer deal.
We envision a world in which justice and sustainable development are interwoven with trade and business - one where every person can have a decent life. Fairness, integrity and transparency are core to everything we do at Fairtrade. Fairtrade is a global movement that includes nearly 2 million farmers, over 2,000 businesses and millions of shoppers in over 100 countries. By working together, we can create a more equitable world.
The Business Development Manager, Retail Partnerships' primary responsibility is to increase revenue and expand the commodity portfolio by creating and maintaining strong relationships with prospective commercial partners, with a focus on retailers and private brands. This person will drive the strategy for retailer outreach, communication of the Fairtrade value proposition, and creative paths to partnership to encourage certification and grow market access for Fairtrade producers in the US. This person has a background in retail and is passionate about making a difference.
Reports To: Director of Commercial Partnerships
Duties & Responsibilities:
Lead the development and growth of retail partnerships -- approximately 75% of your time
- Build, managing, and prioritizing a target list of prospective large retail partners and regional banners to support Fairtrade's growth strategy.
- Educate prospective and current retail partners about Fairtrade and opportunities to drive business growth and improved livelihoods for producers through certification.
- Work with existing partners to expand the support for Fairtrade certified products at the retail level.
- Conduct research to identify new opportunities for growth, including review of business intelligence reports to prepare for meetings with potential partners.
- Develop business relationships to determine ideal partnerships and programs that would be best fit through engagement at trade shows and conferences, meetings, and email communications.
- Conduct supply chain analysis and supplier recommendations for prospective and existing clients.
- Certifying brands under Fairtrade International Standards and signing licensing agreements, as well as increasing value of current licensees through additional Fairtrade SKUs.
- Collaborate with retail partner to expand their Fairtrade private label selections and grow consumer awareness.
Management and operations -- approximately 15% of your time
- Own the financial forecasting and budgeting for the retail portfolio, as well as regular reporting to internal leadership.
- Collaborate with our Marketing & External Relations (MER) and Operations teams to ensure partnership engagement opportunities and growth. This includes sharing relevant updates regarding prospects, partners, and other members of the supply chain as well as collaborating to identify new and improved opportunities for engagement and impact.
Fairtrade global system relations -- approximately 10% of your time
- Collaborate with the global Fairtrade system to develop commodity strategies and stay current on standards, research, and trends. This includes fostering relationships with producer networks, global commodity managers, and other National Fairtrade Organizations.
This position is based at Fairtrade America's headquarters in Washington, DC. To be eligible for the position, candidates must reside in or be willing to relocate to either the District of Columbia, Virginia, or Maryland.
- A bachelor's degree plus a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience or, if the candidate doesn't hold a bachelor's degree, an additional four (4) years' experience. Relevant experience includes grocery retail, food/agriculture industry, and/or consumer packaged goods.
- A strong track record in sales, account management, and business development, as well as the ability to foster long-term client relationships and influence sales decisions.
- Established financial acumen, with the ability to forecast, budget, and track performance accurately and effectively. Ability to execute tasks and pivot where needed to meet budgetary expectations.
- Exceptional organizational skills, with the proven ability to adapt quickly and keep track of details.
- Comfortable collaborating with global partners across multiple time zones.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%, if needed.
- Demonstrated experience working from a consultative mindset and collaborating successfully with internal and external partners.
- Strong presenter with excellent communication skills.
- Flexible, creative team player.
- Solid understanding of corporate sustainability, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG).
- Experience with ethical trade and certifications.
- Basic familiarity with SharePoint, customer relationship management software like Salesforce, and project management software like Trello.
What We Offer:
Fairtrade America offers a dynamic and engaging work environment and a competitive salary and benefits program, including:
- Generous time off, including vacation, sick leave, paid volunteer time, 12 paid holidays, and employees receive full pay when the office is closed during the last week of the year.
- Comprehensive health care for you and your family through medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- For emergencies and financial security, life, long and short-term disability, and accidental death and dismemberment insurance, plus an employee assistance program.
- 401k plan with employer matched contributions to help you save for retirement.
- Flexible spending and transit reimbursement programs offering pre-tax savings for qualified health care, dependent care and transportation expenses.
- Paid parental leave for three months, plus additional flexible options for six months.
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available.
- Wellness benefits, including access to an on-site fitness center and reimbursement for wellness programs and activities such as wellness memberships, yoga classes, meditation, and more.
- Mission-driven, passionate, and welcoming colleagues who learn from each other and enjoy working together.
- Professional development program designed and funded to support your career goals.