FirstFruits Farms LLC is one of the largest tree fruit companies in Washington State – growing, packing, shipping, and marketing over 6 million boxes of apples a year. FirstFruits Farms LLC pursues a socially responsible business agenda, promoting social, and economic development opportunities for all of its employees and families.
We now have a tremendous opportunity for a Postharvest Quality Control Manager to join us in Prescott, WA.
The Postharvest QC Manager will lead a team responsible to protect fruit quality from storage through shipment. The ideal candidate will have experience developing and implementing season-long storage plans for both conventional and organic apples. The manager must be a strong team player, excellent communicator, well organized, and capable of working across multiple departments. The Postharvest Quality Control Manager will be expected to have working knowledge of packing grades, apple diseases and disorders, and maturity indexes. Must be proficient in English, being bilingual is a plus.
FirstFruits Farms has developed a successful apple storage program for its broad manifest of organic and conventional apple varieties. The Postharvest Quality Control Manager will coordinate and implement the technical postharvest process. A successful postharvest program utilizes best management practices that sustains fruit quality, generates economical pack outs, and limits storage decay and disorders.
The Postharvest Quality Control Manager will lead a team responsible for monitoring storage conditions, tracking storage results, evaluating postharvest treatments and assessing the effectiveness of the team’s performance and program.
This position works in close concert with other departments such as production, shipping and sales and marketing. This position will report directly to FirstFruits Farms CEO/President.
The person we are looking for will have:
- Any combination of relevant education and/or tree-fruit experience; At least five-years of experience working in tree fruit and leading teams is highly preferred.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work as a contributing team member in a team environment.
- Familiar with Project Safety Management and Risk Management plans as they relate to the safe operation of an ammonia refrigeration system.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills – This is a key position requiring a consistent and persistent approach with people, processes, and systems.
- Ability to set goals and priorities and then work to implement them successfully. • Ability to track trends, evaluate results and develop strategic reports that assist in making informed, solutions-based decisions.
- Technical skills related to utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must have a great attitude and a willingness to step outside of job title.
- Ability to train, coach, motivate and discipline employees.
- Must be able to write and communicate in English, being bilingual is a plus.
- Some travel is required.
- A valid Washington State Driver’s License.
We offer a competitive compensation package which includes Paid Time Off (vacation, sick, and holidays), Medical, dental, vision long term disability, life insurance, and Aflac are all available with First Fruits paying a significant portion of the monthly premium (varies on the type of insurance and level of coverage. We also offer onsite medical clinic and day care. And, a 401K program with matching contributions.
If you are ready to start your career with the leader in the Washington apple industry, please send us an submit your resume and cover letter (as a single document) and tell us why you are interested in this opportunity.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.