Frieda’s is hiring a Produce Buyer II. You will be responsible for purchasing product on a daily basis to meet sales and profitability goals while maintaining company’s quality standards.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to internal and external customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Seeks solutions for existing challenges; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive Sales and Margin growth through planning and purchasing to ensure product is in house and ready to ship when needed. Target 100% fill rate.
- Effectively communicate product attributes, availability and pricing with sales team to support and drive sales.
- Reduce costs through accurate pricing, strong negotiation and long-term program planning.
- Collaborate with the Production team to reduce costs and improve operational efficiencies.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of the competitive landscape to capture opportunities to increase profitability.
- Manage inventory to ensure fast turns, proper rotation and prevent age/quality issues. May include hands on inspection of product at time of receiving and daily until product ships
- Maintain strong follow up and documentation on quality issues to mitigate and/or eliminate potential losses.
- Develop and secure strong vendor relationships to secure supply, maintain compliance, optimize pricing and build long-term programs.
- Complete all administrative functions of the job and deadlines on time and in full.
- Use Demand Planning as a means to forecast short-term and long-term buys.
- All other duties as assigned and/or required.
Education and/or Experience
- Associated Arts (A.A.) degree with three to five years’ work experience in the produce/perishable industry or equivalent combination of education and experience. Four-year degree (B.A. or B.S.) from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Must have strong working knowledge of produce and/or perishable foods, product quality and market place environment.
- FOB buying experience preferred; specialty produce purchasing experience a plus.
- Must be proficient with MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Knowledge of Food Distribute software a plus.
Other Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrates strong analytical aptitude, critical thinking, excellent attention to detail and administrative abilities.
- Must have ability to properly prioritize workload, flex when conditions require and function in fast-paced environment.
- Must have personal integrity, be able to adapt to a flexible work schedule (hours as early as 4:00AM plus Saturdays) and be dependable.
- Must have a valid California Driver's License and proof of automobile insurance.
The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or, move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.