The Safety Coordinator will assist in overseeing the safety programs at the nursery. This position is responsible to assist and collaborate with the HR Manager with the management of the GHF Safety Program. The Safety Coordinator will use skills, experience, and training to support the operations with assessing and addressing routine workplace hazards as well as help manage active workers’ compensation claims. Safety Coordinator will collaborate with the management team on safety programs and policies. All tasks will be performed while supporting the policies, goals, and objectives of the company. The Human Resources Manager may assign other job duties to be performed by the Safety Coordinator.
- Safety Program Management (Emergency Preparedness, Lockout, Confined Space, Powered Industrial Trucks, Hearing Conservation, Hazard Communication, Respiratory Protection, Personal Protective Equipment, Fall Protection, Heat Stress, etc.).
- Develop & Conduct Employee Safety Training.
- Manage Workers Compensation Program & Return To Work Program.
- Conduct Accident Investigations & Root Cause Analysis.
- Ensure Employee Safety & Regulatory Compliance.
- Lead Company Sponsored Safety Teams.
- Conduct Compliance Audits & Abate Safety Hazards.
- Effectively communicate & work with all levels of the organization (Employees, Foremen, Supervisors, and Managers).
- Address Ergonomic Issues.
- Ensure all work performed in accordance with safety policies and regulations to promote safety.
- Perform various other duties as required which may include assisting other departments
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong English composition, grammar and proofreading skills.
- Personal Computer literacy: Microsoft Office (Word; Excel; Outlook).
- Ability to problem solve for routine to complex situations.
- Ability to multi-task while completing projects timely.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional image and demeanor with internal and external customers.
- Easily adapts and adjusts to shifting priorities.
- Knowledge of workers compensation and OSHA regulations
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Education and/or Experience: Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or three to five years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is required
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine emails, reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization
- Bilingual/Bi-literate in Spanish is required for this position
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to handle multiple, conflicting priorities
- Ability to handle difficult customer problems effectively and diplomatically
- Ability to communicate and support the company's policies and procedures to employees and customers in a positive manner
- Ability to follow directions from a supervisor
- Ability to interact with coworkers
- Ability to understand and follow posted work rules and procedures
- Ability to accept constructive criticism. Must be able to lead and manage others
Abilities and Skills:
- Valid California Driver’s License and insurable driving record
- Self motivated and team oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in the use if Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel and Word
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb stairways and ladders; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.