J & J Family of Farms is a leading produce distributor strategically positioned as a year-round national supplier since 1983. Our family of farms now grows on over 14,000 acres of farmland and operates packing and cooling facilities throughout the United States. As family farmers, we believe in sustainable and socially responsible farming practices, and in taking care of our people.
At J&J Family of Farms, we pride ourselves on the highest quality produce, but we recognize that quality products are the result of quality employees. Our goal is to empower each employee to bring their best to their jobs every day. We achieve this by caring about our people and rooting for their success while remaining committed to excellence.
We have an immediate opening for a Quality Control Specialist to join our team in Loxahatchee, FL.
The Quality Control (QC) specialist position is to ensure that the products we ship all meet company and customer expectations. QC will develop and coordinate activities and programs necessary to meet and maintain quality standards. The QC department will work closely with our Supply Chain Specialist and our Repack department to help manage inventories, workloads, and help provide better overall customer service.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job
Typical Physical Demands: Stand, walk, twist, bend, and lift. Must be able to travel. Frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, vibration and hazardous materials. Regular use of hands to manipulate phones and computer keyboard.
Typical Work Conditions: Work is performed in a warehouse environment. Employee frequently interacts directly with team members during the workday.
- This position is responsible for the quality control process upon receipt of product (both Farm and purchased), our on-hand inventories, and the products being selected for customer shipments.
- Uses U.S.D.A. and good delivery standards to properly inspect all product throughout the entire shipping process.
- Examine product for defects such as blemishes, imperfections, marks, cracks, etc. as it pertains to the company’s quality standards.
- Help establish and define new inspection processes and procedures, both for incoming and outbound products.
- Verifies that the specified dimensions of product meet company expectations.
- Identify causes for the out-of-spec product and then work to improve the product’s quality.
- Operates any equipment needed to perform the job. i.e. Forklift, pallet jacks, pulp thermometers, etc.
- Performs related duties as needed by management.
- Must follow all instruction related to Food Defense, Good Manufacturing Practices, Good Agricultural Practices and HACCP program.
- Must report to the Food Safety Department or direct supervisor any problem or irregular situation at their work location.
- Implement and enforce security and food safety standards, policies, and programs related to HACCP, and third-party standards, regulatory standards, food safety training programs, product inspections, and any work instructions.
- Minimum 3 years of related Quality Control experience; thorough knowledge of quality management practices and statistical techniques.
- Familiarity with fresh produce (quality expectations, varieties, case packs, etc.) is required.
- Must be able to lift up to 65 lb. boxes.
- Working knowledge of good delivery and U.S.D.A. guidelines for fresh produce.
- Excellent attention to detail and communication skills.
- Must be able to travel when needed. Could be as much as 6 months.
- Must be able to safely operate warehouse equipment, such as forklift and pallet jack; forklift & pallet jack, certification is required.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- English/Spanish bilingual skills is a plus.