Nunes Company, Inc. has an immediate full-time position for a Food Safety Specialist. This is an excellent opportunity to join a large industry leading Salinas-based, grower-shipper.
The Food Safety Specialist is primarily responsible for collecting water, soil and field product testing results and uploading them to our Document Management System. This position will spend the majority of the time in the office coordinating between various departments within the organization (i.e. production, harvesting, cooling). In addition, this position will work among the Safety Department as a team to monitor and evaluate the workplace to ensure compliance and safety standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following as well as other duties and responsibilities, which may be assigned.
- Collects water, soil and field-testing results, and upload to the Document Management System.
- Interacts with growers, harvest personnel, and cooling to ensure practices comply with Food Safety standards and our internal Document Management System
- Ensures all company food safety policies, SOP’s and SSOP’s are being followed.
- Maintains necessary compliance paperwork related to food safety and GFSI compliance
- Trains and effectively communicates food safety policies to all company employees and outside entities in regard to our Document Management System.
- Helps to establish program/standards that are consistent with GFSI standards, current Good Manufacturing Practices, and all Federal, State and Regulatory requirements.
- Conducts internal audits based upon multiple audit schemes; develops and implements corrective action plans.
- Promotes and develops sustainability practices throughout the operation.
- Leads, conducts and oversees any special projects that maybe assigned
- Follows company policies and practices while representing company in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, government agencies, growers, customers, etc.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Must have a good understanding of the agricultural and cold warehousing operations of a grower-shipper.
- Ability to identify safety and health hazards and recommend improvements to identified unsafe conditions, materials, equipment, etc.
- Knowledge of regulations relating to food safety and safety (ie OSHA, DOT, LGMA, GFSI) .
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
Ability to identify and resolve problems independently and with sound judgment.
- Advanced computer literate knowledge and proficiency of MSOffice (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) programs and other computer applications (ie. Adobe, PDFs, Google Earth, Document Management Systems).
- Displays excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A proven ability to work with a variety of people and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Consistently demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness and dependability.
- Establishes and maintains effective channels of communications with internal and external contacts.
- Self-starter and works under minimum supervision.
- Must possess a current valid driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record.
Incumbent will be required to travel to multiple locations throughout California, Arizona, Nevada, and Mexico. No relocation required.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.