Come grow with us!
Pacific Coast Fruit Company is a local, family owned produce distributor that has proudly served our Pacific Northwest retail, wholesale and food service customers since 1977. We are now one of the largest independent produce distributors in the Northwest with distribution centers in Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington.
Our employees are a big part of our success, and we truly believe the words of our founder, Emil Nemarnik, who often said, Take good care of your employees, customers, shippers, and farmers and they will make you successful.
We are currently seeking an experienced Buyer for our Seattle (Kent), Washington office. As a member of our Buying team, this position is responsible for identifying and procuring conventional and organic product for our Retail, Wholesale, and Food Service customers.We're looking for someone who is passionate about sourcing the best product available, creating mutually beneficial relationships with growers, and working collaboratively with others to create value for our customers and the company.
What you'll do...
- Establish and maintain consistent contact with growers and suppliers.
- Explore sourcing alternatives and new products, partnering with sales and service managers to introduce at least 10 new items to sales every 6 months.
- Recommend and establish strategic sourcing programs specific to customer needs and expectations.
- Collaborate with the team to ensure we are obtaining the right products, of the best quality available, at the best cost.
- Manage clearance to 1% or better.
- Achieve a fill rate of 99% or higher.
- Communicate consistently, professionally, and effectively with internal and external partners.
- Achieve 99% or greater purchase order accuracy at time of receiving.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Present and train sales team on products
- Support the Ecommerce initiative.
What we look for...
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 3-5 years related job experience
- Familiarity and experience with a wide range of produce items, including local and organic product
- Knowledge of commodity locations, growing and harvesting practices, packing and repacking, and other produce suppliers, distributers and processors
- Strong communication and relationship building skills and the ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Proficiency in MS Office products, with emphasis in Excel
- Ability to speak and write in English
- Proven Business Acumen
- Problem Solving - Demonstrated skill identifying and resolving problems in a timely manner; gathering and analyzing information skillfully; developing alternative solutions; working effectively in group problem solving situation
- Judgment - Includes appropriate people in decision making process and asks for help when needed
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a professional manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments
- Ethics - Inspires the trust of others; works ethically and with integrity; maintains confidentiality; upholds organizational values
What you'll gain...
- The opportunity to contribute, learn a lot, and have fun along the way
- Competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, disability, life, 401(k), profit sharing, paid time off, and bonus program
- Healthy, fresh produce you can eat or take home to your family through our generous employee purchase program
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.