Job Summary: The food safety & safety coordinator is a full-time regular job that will be responsible for overseeing and enforcing Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP), company health and safety guidelines, inspecting workplaces to ensure safety standards are met and provide workplace safety training during the fruit packing season, which is usually from October to June. Seasonal periods may vary in duration from season to season.
Reporting Relationship: The food safety & safety coordinator will report directly to the plant manager.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Educating and training management and employees on GMPs, HACCP, quality assurance and food safety;
- Distributing training aids to supervisors; following-up with supervisors to ensure collection of all training records;
- Creating microbiological sample schedules in MS Excel;
- Performing required sample testing of equipment and environment;
- Assisting in the preparation of third-party audits and inspections;
- Conducting internal/self-inspections of the facility to evaluate compliance of food safety program and create reports using MS Word;
- Ensuring internal audits and inspections are calibrated with third-party audits and inspections;
- Collecting, reporting, and filing data/results as required;
- Advising management of recommended corrective action to ensure quality of fresh fruit packing and juicing;
- Assisting food safety manager in ensuring compliance with Food Safety Program;
- Working with sanitation department to address areas that need improvement;
- Distributing, collecting, verifying, and filing all food safety forms;
- Promoting safety awareness through safety programs, posters, tailgate meeting and other related activities;
- Maintaining and updating Safety Data Sheets;
- Conducting trainings with employees with regards to mandated health and safety training;
- Inspecting of packing house to identify any hazardous conditions which may affect employees, property, and/or working environment;
- Conducting and documenting monthly inspections of fire extinguishers and eye wash/shower stations;
- Monitoring employees’ safety behavior and correcting in a positive manner;
- Conducting and documenting daily employee COVID-19 screenings and monitoring of employees during their shift for COVID-19 related symptoms;
- Ensuring face coverings are worn properly and (6) feet social distancing is maintained throughout the facility by employees, contractors, and visitors, when possible;
- Ensuring barriers are in place where applicable, in working conditions, and being used properly by employees;
- Conducting daily checks of inventories for any shortages of cleaning supplies including hand sanitizer;
- Managing Sanitation/Disinfecting Program (daily and post-cases);
- Educating and training management and employees on current COVID-19 guidelines by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); and,
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- At least six (6) months experience and knowledge of GMPs, HACCP, quality assurance, and food safety in production environment;
- Detail and results oriented in an efficient and effective manner;
- Proficient in MS Excel and Word;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish; and,
- Have dependable transportation to report to work on a punctual and dependable basis, and ability to work late when needed to complete pack schedule and last-minute pack orders for the day.
- Knowledge of COVID-19 work guidelines by CDC;
- Ability to learn basic elements for HACCP analyses;
- Ability to collect, analyze, interpret and present results through communication, spreadsheets, and reports;
- Ability to consistently surpass minimum requirements established by third-party auditors and inspectors;
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple responsibilities and tasks;
- Ability to abide by Company employment, safety, and food safety policies; and,
- Ability to work in a fast-paced industrial environment near moving machinery, equipment, forklifts and vehicles in the receiving area.
Competitive pay and benefits, offered.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.