Informally known as Kopke, “William H Kopke Jr” is a third-generation family-owned company that was founded in 1937 by its namesake. For over 80 years, Kopke has imported the finest fruits from all over the world for distribution throughout North America. As a leading importer of fresh fruit from around the globe, the company continues to focus on bringing the finest imported products to the United States and Canada. Family values such as integrity, honesty, and hard work are the cornerstones on which the company was built and proudly continues to operate.
We are seeking a West Coast QC and Operations Manager for our Long Beach, California location.
Overview of Position:
This role is responsible for managing the day-to-day operational aspects of the business and inspecting inbound/outbound fruit products ensuring compliance with the Company’s standards.
- Responsible for inspecting all incoming fruit on arrival and periodically while in cold storage facilities. Inspect packaging materials as needed.
- Responsible for entering and updating findings into the internal inspection system.
- Complete inspections and quality control reports that accurately describe the quality/condition of the fruit and report to Management.
- Investigate and resolve quality and condition-related issues in a timely manner.
- Implement daily/weekly planning and allocation of products to our customers.
- Foster and maintain strong relationships with internal employee/management base and external customers.
- Work closely with the sales team on product availability.
- Coordinate repack as necessary.
- Understand customer specs to ensure delivery.
- Partner with the transportation Manager on all logistical issues.
- Understand market conditions to ensure correct decisions are being made.
- Coordinate USDA inspections.
- Perform routine quality and condition inspections on existing inventory to assist in first-in, first-out, or worst-in, first-out / stock rotation.
- Maintain instruments and supplies as needed to meet quality inspection requirements to ensure that company standards are met.
- Judgement and discretion are required to make decisions on products regarding the commercial value and acceptability in the marketplace.
- Understand market conditions to ensure decision-making reflects the circumstances
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must be capable of working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong demonstrated verbal/written communication skills; analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be detailed and results-oriented.
- Statistical analysis experience is preferred.
- Operates with integrity and is respectful.
- Implementation experience in Food Safety and/or Quality programs is strongly preferred.
- PC proficiency in Windows-based applications: Word, Excel, Access (preferred).
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills (i.e., oral and written).
- Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred but not required.
- Ability to travel to growing regions domestically and internationally
- Posses or be able to obtain a TWIC card
- Knowledge of USDA grade standards, methods, and techniques.
- Flexibility with evening, weekend, and holiday shifts.
Experience and Education
- High School Diploma, or equivalent, from an accredited institution.
- 3-4 years prior experience in a similar role
- Experience in the produce industry.
Internal and External Contacts
- Interact with all business units to ensure cohesive processes and functions.
- Interact with outside vendors, inspectors, growers, and companies logically and professionally.
*The position is based out of the West Coast while the direct Manager is located on the East Coast
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.