Joe Produce Search has been retained to conduct a search for a CHRO for an impressive senior leadership team. We are seeking an accomplished and responsible thought leader capable of setting the overall strategy and direction of people programs, culture, structure, policies, and employee engagement.
Our client is one of North America’s finest grower-shippers, they are based in the Salinas Valley on California’s beautiful Central Coast. They employ thousands of seasonal and full-time employees in Salinas, Yuma, and the Imperial Valley. Their employees are their greatest asset, as they consistently strive to be an employer of choice in the fresh produce industry. This company is growing, and the CHRO is critical to enabling this growth.
A company that is built for the long term. That statement is reflected in their culture and all decisions, from CapEx, to ground base, to customer relationships, to employee development, and their hiring practices. Very few companies have their DNA so deeply rooted in the long term. True to form, this opportunity is a long-term hire for the CEO, the Board, and the Senior Leadership team. For whoever accepts this role, this must be viewed as a long-term career investment.
Reporting to the CEO, the CHRO will develop and execute the HR strategy for the organization and partner with the senior leadership team to execute the vision. This inspiring leader will guide a robust team of human resource professionals with full oversight of all aspects of the HR organization.
The successful candidate will be well versed in all aspects of human resources to support a successful company in the demanding fresh produce industry. They will be leading strategic initiatives that support improving employee performance to help the overall company function to accomplish more. The CHRO will possess a strategic mindset and the ability to be hands-on and process-oriented. We are looking for a versatile leader who can add value to the C-suite and go beyond the boundaries of functional HR.
The return on this investment for you includes an amazing opportunity to shape leadership, policies, and employee happiness for years to come. Furthermore, the compensation package is very attractive, including all the perks, and benefits associated with a role at this level.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Partner with the senior leadership team to support and guide the company culture, programs, and policies consistent with the company’s mission, vision, and values.
- Develop compensation plans, with the CEO, that foster productivity and compensation-based performance.
- Work with the C-Suite as a team member on recruiting for significant roles and formulating career development paths.
- Take an active role in succession planning within the operations.
- Direct the practices and objectives that will nurture the employee-oriented, high-performance culture.
- Guide the high-functioning Human Resources, Safety, and Training teams with approximately 35 people consisting of 4 direct reports.
- Create and maintain effective working relationships with all departments that emphasize open dialogue, personal chemistry, and a team approach.
- Be a trusted force within the organization; work diligently to help employees grow and improve.
- Ensure company policies, operations, and reporting are implemented consistently and comply with the requirements of customers, government regulations, voluntary certification programs, and the company’s values.
- Implement policies designed to protect company and employee interests.
- Utilize internal and external sources to create an ongoing system to benchmark industry-wide standards for “best practices.”
- Conduct a continuing study of all HR policies, programs, and practices (employee turnover, workplace safety, etc.) to support direction and decision-making departmentally and with executive leadership.
- Build and foster productive relationships with relevant trade associations, regulatory agencies, NGOs, etc.
- Work closely with legal counsel to maintain company-wide compliances and balance.
- Manage or perform other related tasks or projects as directed by the leadership team.
- Address employee complaints, suggestions, and appeals through an “Open door policy.”
- Proven leadership with the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of an organization.
- Work experience as a CHRO, VP of HR, or similar with experience leading large teams and oversight of 1000+ workforce.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) with extensive experience in HR including payroll, benefits, personnel, investigations, training, and leadership.
- Professional certification, education, or experience related to HR.
- Understanding of H2A labor and the employment relationship.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques for staffing, training, compensation, benefits, employee relations, and HRIS systems.
- Strongly preferred bilingual with proficiency in writing both in English and Spanish.
- Advanced computer skills including proficient use of standard office software such as Microsoft Word, and Excel.
- Passionate about leading a team.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Has equally high regard for all employees from field to C Level.
This Job has a $1,000 Referral Reward!