Our client is an innovative grower of fresh vegetables. The company has grown substantially over the past several years. They meet their customers’ expectations for outstanding service by being easy to do business with and consistently performing. They pride themselves on maintaining a family-oriented culture where every employee is treated with respect, listened to, and encouraged to give their best every day.
Due to rapid growth, we are searching for a Sales Manager. This is not your typical produce sales manager job. The “desired results” of your job is to have informed and satisfied customers, and for you and your team to be in sync with the production and shipping side of your business.
The Sales Manager will directly manage and develop a team of product managers/client service reps ensuring that all customers are receiving excellent communications, customer service, and the best overall experience. This person will be responsible for the day to day “directing traffic” within the team, coordinating schedules and workflow, helping to solve problems, and working through issues that arise. In addition, this individual will be accountable for the timely process flow from forecast, harvest, post-harvest to invoicing working closely with production, shipping, and accounting/finance. This role requires strong organizational and analytical skills to effectively manage forecasting of weekly commodity allocation to customers and create sales forecasts and reports. Applicant must be motivated and self-managed.
This position will be located in Salinas, CA and will require some travel. This is an excellent time to join a great team and work with some of the best customers, and people in the industry. This company thoughtfully hires to enhance their team with talented individuals capable of developing, performing and maintaining successful processes. They offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. If you possess the ambition and experience to take over this critical position and join an exceptional team, we would like to talk with you.
- Motivate, inspire, and cultivate a culture of teamwork.
- Directly supervise the commodity management team, holding team members accountable for daily, weekly, quarterly responsibilities.
- Manage sales across total product offering; mixed, bunched, and root vegetables as well as the processing plant.
- Have customer interactions as needed to facilitate needs and problem solve to ensure excellent customer service and experience.
- Problem solving day-to-day operational challenges.
- Accountable for the timely process flow from forecast, harvest, post-harvest to invoicing.
- Work as point person with Finance and Accounting on timely reconciliation, month end closing, pricing, system changes and new program implementation.
- Manage team through biannual transitions coordinating and scheduling.
- Work with commercial coolers to resolve service issues and maintain a high level of accuracy and customer service.
- Manage flow of packaging inventories; cartons, film, ties, tags, sleeves, IFCO RPC’s.
- Manage forecasting weekly commodity allocation to customers.
- Work with Business Development and Ag Ops on customer demand planning for Salinas and Yuma seasons.
- Maintain inventory levels to maximize best balance of quality and service levels.
- Understand market information for various commodities across different grades and sizes and to manage pricing on open commodity sales.
- Enter and track orders in Famous, I-trade, and other Internet based ordering systems. Verify order entry and follow orders through to delivery.
- Work with customers and accounting to resolve deductions and to enforce payment terms with regards to both days paid and credit balances
- Manage produce complaint process; resolve all claims and arrival problems through proper documentation. Provide inspections and have communication with harvest supervisors.
- Responsible for getting all product to market through various avenues; shipper/partners, direct sales, processors, freezers – minimize walk by.
- Excited about mentoring and coaching a produce sales staff.
- Exceptional team player with a can-do attitude, work proactively, takes initiative with follow through, and self-motivated.
- Must possess strong organizational skills and analytical capabilities.
- 5+ years of proven commodity management experience.
- 3+ years of personnel management.
- Must be able to multitask in an active sales environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the proven ability to interact with all levels of personnel: field/warehouse, to customer, team-members, management, and ownership.
- Must be versed in sales techniques, on the phone, in person, and in negotiation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel and Famous preferred.
- Strong computer skills with an advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word & Outlook required. Experience with Famous preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with PACA rules and how to manage business accordingly.
- A thorough understanding of overall company sales priorities and work in a collaborative way to support the highest overall company profitability.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural skills to communicate between grower-partners and customers.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent preferred.
This Job has a $2,500 Referral Reward!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.