This person will lead team and the organization to successful market launch and manufacturing transfer of new products. The Manager is responsible for defining the objectives, scope, assumptions, project plan and timeline for development projects. The role works across all departments to gather and manage cross functional resources to ensure project success. The Sr. Food Safety & QA Manager also manages quality operations of the quality control/assurance functions of our processing/packaging plant.
The individual in this role is responsible for ensuring the implementation and monitoring of programs and procedures on a plant level. May also lead implementation and on-going program management and oversight of compliance to all regulatory, national accounts and company quality assurance, food safety requirements and other related initiatives.
Additional emphasis is to be placed on safety, quality, maintenance, and reliability. Directs and coordinates activities of organization to obtain optimum efficiency, economy of operations and maximize profits. Analyzes department budget to identify areas in which reductions can be made, and allocates operating budget.
Confers with administrative personnel, and reviews activity, operations, and sales reports to determine changes in programs or operations required. Works with direct reports (QA Manager & Field Food Safety Manager), VP of Operations and Director of Human Resources to plan, develop and implement organization policies and goals.
This position has direct responsibility to ensure that all work activities under its span of control are performed with attention to the highest standards of food quality, safe processes, compliance with all appropriate legal requirements and a focus on continuous process improvement.
This individual reports to the Director of Food Safety & QA.
- Ensure that all work activities of direct and indirect reports are performed with attention to the highest standards of food quality, safe processes, compliance with all appropriate legal requirements and a focus on continuous process improvement.
- Oversee monitoring, verification, and validation activities to ensure that all products leaving the facility meet the facility Food Safety and Quality Plans.
- Manage finished product evaluation system and provide leadership to drive improvements in key customer/consumer Quality attributes.
- Train personnel and maintain all relevant records on critical food safety and quality requirements.
- Maintain all registries as required by LGMA and GFSI.
- Provide guidance and leadership in situations where deviations have occurred or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or quality attributes.
- Reassess Food Safety plan(s) whenever there is a change to program, process, procedure, specification, equipment, industry philosophy, technology, etc.
- Direct interface and management of the sanitation department ensuring proper pre-operational procedures and environmental testing as required.
- Direct management of quality assurance staff to ensure alignment of business needs and conditions.
- Develop and maintain systems to assure facility meets all food safety and quality system requirements including document control and records, equipment and environment specifications, maintaining food safety, verification, product identification, trace and recall, incident management, and food safety fundamentals.
- Drive constant improvements, monitor the implementation of sound quality assurance programs that meet company and regulatory standards for safety, quality, and consumer acceptance.
- Lead activities related to quality assurance and food safety processes. This includes but is not limited to HACCP system, regulatory audits, quality systems review process (QSR), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's), incoming Raw material inspections, product scoring, Food Safety and GMP audits, Pest Control programs, customer and consumer complaint resolution, standardized work instructions.
- Manage coordination and cooperation with on-site audits performed by FDA, Silliker, or other regulatory agencies or approved inspectors.
- Manage procedures to abate concerns arising out of said inspections to instill continued customer and consumer confidence.
- Monitoring and implementation of a comprehensive HACCP program.
- Performs and monitors GMP plant inspections.
- Monitor and maintain procedures and documentation for product recall and tracking.
- Performs and monitors quality control testing for raw materials, packaging materials, and/or finished product quality at the plant level.
- Monitors quality audit program for the production facility to ensure company and regulatory standards of product quality, sanitation, and process controls are met.
- Monitors employee-training initiatives needed to meet standards of quality and process control.
- Responsible for Quality Systems Integration within the plant operation.
- Interact with and respond to customers regarding compliance issues, specifications, and quality issues.
- LGMA guidelines knowledge a plus.
- Bachelor degree in Food Science, Microbiology, or related discipline preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Supply chain certification a plus.
- Ten (10) + years’ work experience in production operations roles with 8+ years in management roles.
- Increasingly responsible experience in Quality Assurance/Quality Control. Previous experience in a QA/QC Management role preferred.
- Proven record of successful management of production scheduling, general knowledge of HACCP, GMP, Sanitation, and quality and food safety programs required.
- Related work experience in a production/processing/environment preferably produce in a lead capacity in inventory management, warehouse operations, or shipping/receiving operation.
- Proven record of people management in production environment.
- Understanding of plant operations and packaging environment.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to provide training, coaching, and feedback to provide sustainable productivity and quality from the plant.
- Excellent team building skills to build high morale and group commitment to goals and objectives with focus on results oriented leadership.
- Database management.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and reasoning skills.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and problem solving skills.
- Excellent writing communication skills.
- Direct experience in the produce industry highly preferred.
- Ability to communicate and liaise effectively with diplomacy and tact to all levels of personnel at plant.
- Seasonal relocation between Salinas, CA and Yuma AZ.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
- Above average verbal and written communication skills. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must have effective organizational, planning and prioritization skills.
- Intermediate to advanced level Microsoft Excel skills required. Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint required.
- Must have ability to use or learn the NAV (Navision) computer system.
- Must have personal integrity, flexibility, dependability, ability to work within policy guidelines and to work independently.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence, effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to growers, customers, clients, sales, upper management and other employees of the organization is essential.
- Budget and P&L experience.
- Outstanding project management and planning skills. Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, reasoning, self-motivation, problem solving, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated success developing direct reports to improve their productivity and capabilities.
- Excellent influencing, cooperation, and negotiation skills and the ability to use them appropriately.
- Effectively resolve cross-departmental issues in partnership with company leadership.
- Assume responsibility for on-time delivery, consistent quality, and cost containment. Ensure that proper procedures, practices, documentation, training, and audits are in place and are executed.
- Results oriented and flexible, with the ability to find a balance between the business requirements, the operational pressure of a fast growing company, and the high quality requirements of the company and our customers.
The Food Safety & QA Manager is responsible for executing the SQF (Safe Quality Food) system in the plant. Basic requirements are:
- Must have completed a HACCP training course.
- Must be competent to implement and maintain a HACCP based food safety plan.
- Have un understanding of the SQF code and the requirements to implement and maintain SQF system relevant to the scope of certification. Must be ready and willing to accept a high level of responsibility and accountability in relation to the management of the SQF system.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities.
- Prolonged sitting and terminal use.
- Flexibility to walk and/or stand for extended periods of time as needed.
- May be required to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Hand dexterity and strength.
Work to be performed in varied environments: indoors in a climate controlled environment, refrigerated cooler production facility with damp/wet conditions, shipping and receiving warehouse, and outdoors is varied weather as needed.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.