Headquartered in Castroville, California near Monterey Bay, Ocean Mist Farms is one of California’s leading growers of premium quality produce. We have an affiliation with seven companies with operations in California, Arizona and Mexico. Founded in 1924, we are privately held, the largest producer of artichokes in North America and produce over 30 other fresh vegetable commodities. Our operations include plant breeding, farming, harvesting, cooling, distribution and sales. Ocean Mist Farms’ fresh vegetable product line is sold domestically and internationally year-round. To learn more about our company, please visit www.oceanmist.com
We have an immediate opening for a Safety and Employee Relations Specialist. This position will support the execution of Ocean Mist Farms and affiliate Safety & HR programs and ensure compliance required by the company and all regulatory agencies. Coordinates and implements safety, injury and illness prevention programs, conducts related training, investigates accidents, and identifies possible causes, recommends corrective action, and provides effective compliance support to management. This role will also provide personnel policy and procedure guidance and counseling to managers and conduct employee relations investigations. This role requires a strong presence at all our field, cooler and plant operations.
- Coordination and administration of company safety programs to include, but not limited to, the Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), Emergency Action Plan & Evacuation Procedures, Hazard Communication, Tractor Safety, Forklift Safety, 1st Aid/CPR, and Accident & Injury Response and Procedures.
- Develop, conduct and facilitate safety training, certification and education programs, and demonstrate the use of safety equipment and machinery.
- Serve as a key member of the safety board meetings and activities by providing leadership and subject matter expertise. Will facilitate safety board meetings as requested.
- Travels to other OMF and affiliate locations to support operations with all personnel matters, conduct and/or attend site location trainings, “tail gate” meetings and otherwise promote positive employee relations.
- Inspect and evaluate workplace environments, equipment, and practices, to ensure compliance with our safety standards, as well as government regulations.
- Perform periodic site inspections, annual safety compliance audits, and assist with governmental inspections and third-party audits to include customer social responsibility audits.
- Collaborate with safety management, maintenance, facilities and respective departments to institute control and remedial measures for hazardous and potentially hazardous conditions or equipment.
- Provide support role with environmental plans and ensure compliance with programs required by the Company and any other county, state and federal regulatory programs, including but not limited to the Risk Management Plan and Process Safety Management.
- Investigate accidents, identify root causes, determine corrective and/or preventative action and ensure all described actions are completed. This includes ensuring timely completion of action items assigned through the safety management system, Intelex.
- Manage Motor Vehicle Record Driver Program, and administer authorized driver Pull Program with Samba Safety software program.
- Assist with DOT driver files and DOT Drug/Alcohol Testing.
- Serve as a resource and advocate for Safety and HR policies with managers and employees.
- Provide on-boarding safety orientations and develop/prepare respective materials.
- Serve as an HR liaison to field, cooler & plant operations by advising employees regarding policies, procedures and programs while providing superior customer service.
- Conduct employee relations investigations and advice management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues.
- Assist with Post Injury Management and Return-to-Work interactive process with injured employee(s) and supervisor.
- Provide personnel policy and procedure guidance and counseling to managers.
- Support all aspects of Human Resources team activities or execute other projects or process improvements as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Human Resources, or related field highly preferred.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in safety and employee relations, preferably in an agricultural environment. Strong knowledge of current OSHA regulations, IIPP and employment labor law compliance requirements.
- Bilingual fluency in English/Spanish is required. This includes reading, writing legibly and communicating clearly and concisely.
- Must be able to communicate issues in a constructive manner and handle difficult and/or confidential situations in a professional and confidential manner.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of applications and other HRIS systems is required. Familiarity of Intelex software is desired.
- Ability to work with and manage a high level of detailed and confidential information; ability to identify and resolve complex problems.
- Excellent presentation, analytical, and decision-making skills; ability to learn new duties with minimal repetition; resourceful, well organized, and flexible.
- Self-motivated and ability to work with limited supervision; must be able to work both independently and as part of a team; able to work in a dynamic environment and capable of managing multiple high visibility projects simultaneously.
- Valid class “C” California Driver’s license is required and must be insurable.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.