Moving Food Forward
For over 40 years, UNFI has delivered healthier food options to more people. We carry and distribute more than 100,000 products to more than 43,000 customer locations throughout the United States and Canada. UNFI serves a wide variety of sales channels including conventional supermarket chains, natural product superstores, independent retailers, eCommerce and food service.
Our associates come together to create a culture of service by donating thousands of hours to nonprofits in need every year. We also support nonprofits through charitable giving lead by our Helping Hands Committees and through our UNFI Foundation.
We Discover What’s Next. Bold ideas and new possibilities that drive the industry. Better food. Better future.
We are now accepting applications for a Fresh Produce Sales Manager to join our team in Moreno Valley, CA.
Provide leadership for division sales organization to drive profitable sales. Responsible for customer management and the development of tactical goals to achieve desired results Responsible for fostering and enhancing internal/external customer service, sales performance and achieving revenue and margin budgets by deploying and leading division sales teams.
- Ability to demonstrate high level of personal initiative to achieve goals and objectives.
- Able to develop and execute sales strategies and account planning to exceed sales goals.
- Ability to lead, coach, inspire, motivate and train sales personnel.
- Innovative, forward thinker; able to anticipate issues/opportunities and work through obstacles and potential roadblocks.
- Able to develop and maintain effective, positive internal/external working relationships with a diverse group of individuals throughout the organization and exemplify these qualities in a leadership role.
- Ability to work effectively in a highly open, dynamic and collaborative environment.
- Able to perform effectively in an environment that is progressing rapidly and where multiple priorities and tasks need to be constantly addressed.
- Highly motivated sales professional with strong team work ethic.
- Ability to drive sales in a customer-centered environment.
- Excellent influencing and negotiating skills.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills; ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent oral/written communication and presentation skills.
- Good computer skills, including various sales systems, MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook; competent to learn and adapt to new computer applications, system upgrades and other technology as necessary.
- Establish and lead an effective sales team through recruitment, selection, training, coaching and rewarding of sales staff.
- Identify ways to inspire a drive for process improvement in each staff member through performance management and career planning, by effectively communicating and executing individual and team goals, by facilitating resolution of customer issues, and ensuring customer order fulfillment.
- Maintain existing customers and revenue; develop and grow customer business, partnerships and relationships through staff.
- Manage sales team administration, including: accounts receivables, time off and attendance scheduling, expense and travel budgets/reports, monthly sales reports, sales forecasts and other requested reports. Coordinate scheduling with Division Manager.
- Develop and maintain relationships and partnerships with key players (key AO departments and colleagues, UNFI, etc.) to achieve short- and long-term sales goals and customer satisfaction.
- Provide strategies and creative solutions for assigned accounts.
- Work with team to control gross profit margin, customer credit; monitor credit and payment history for each customer.
- Visit accounts as necessary to enhance relationship, business and to resolve problems.
- Act as Inside/Outside Sales Representative as necessary; handle assigned call loads.
- Actively participant and contribute in sales and other business meetings.
- Assist Division Manager to develop sales and margin budgets and in developing detailed strategic plans.
- Obtain feedback from customers on inside/outside sales team effectiveness.
- Coordinate and/or lead other special projects as identified.
- Responsible for observing and ensuring all Sales/Purchasing Team members perform in accordance with HACCP and Safe Quality Food (SQF) policies and procedures, as appropriate for location.
- Follow all policies and procedures outlined in the Recall Plan.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities in an ethical manner and in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training and experience.
- 7+ years of sales and management / leadership experience, preferably in a perishable food distribution, retail or wholesale environment.
- Organics knowledge and/or experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience meeting and exceeding sales budgets.
- Competent working with sales systems and MS Office Suite, including Outlook, Work, Excel and PowerPoint.
- English/Spanish bilingual skills a plus.
- Valid driver’s license required.