Watsonville Produce, Inc. has been family owned and managed since 1984. We are the “Fresh” Leafy Greens processor/packer for the Muzzi Family Farm’s group of fresh and frozen processing and sales companies. We are looking for a Food Safety Director who will help manage our Food Safety Programs at Watsonville Produce, Blue Ribbon Frozen Foods and Muzzi Family Farms.
The Food Safety Director will work with our Food Safety Managers and oversee the implementation of the requirements, policies, procedures, programs and training components of the Food Safety Programs. This position serves as the lead for product recall communications, regulatory inspections, Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) audits and Sustainability efforts.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Assist with updating and maintaining Food Safety Programs
- Leads long-term strategic direction of Food Safety Programs
- Provide leadership and assistance within the Food Safety and Quality Control Department
- Oversees Supplier Approval Programs
- Work with Food Safety Managers in managing and implementing the Food Safety Programs
- Have understanding and knowledge of GMP’s, Food Production, Microbiological Testing
- Maintain reports requested by management.
- Ensure that the operations comply with federal, state, local, customer and company Food Safety policies and regulations.
- Prepare and submit all required reports and correspondence to appropriate parties
- Monitor and verify activities to ensure that all product coming into and shipping from our facilities meet all Food Safety requirements, quality standards, and specifications.
- Ensure that all company Food Safety and Quality Assurance procedures are followed and documented at all times.
- Work with vendors on ensuring that all federal, state, and local Food Safety regulations are in compliance.
- Instruct and advise managers and supervisors on GMP’s and HACCP to promote continuous education.
- Coordinate Food Safety training for managers and supervisors.
- Ensure compliance with applicable Food Safety regulatory requirements (Federal, State/Provincial and, Local).
- Handle and oversee the product recall process to ensure timely communication and execution of product recalls and completion of related documentation.
- Review Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), independent 3rd party, customer, internal, and regulatory audit results and work with Food Safety Managers to gather corrective action plans for audit non-conformance.
- Follow-up promptly and thoroughly on Food Safety complaints from customers. Effectively communicate resolutions to internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Bachelor degree preferred in Food Science, Food Safety, Food Technology, Plant Science, Biological Science, or Supply Chain/Operations from a four-year college. Comparable work experience will be evaluated for non-degreed candidates.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Food Safety with working knowledge and management level experience in HACCP, GMP, USDA, FDA, and working with Local, State, Customer, and 3rd party inspections.
- Solid working knowledge of quality assurance, food manufacturing, processing, packaging and distribution is required
- Ability to work effectively with management, managers, employees, vendors, and customers.
- Must be flexible to travel seasonally when required
- Experience with Primus GFSI and / or USDA audits desirable.
- Possess strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to make independent, sound decisions, capable of communicating, and reporting functions both verbally and written.
- Detail oriented, and possess strong computer skills, including MS Office and Excel
- Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred, but not mandatory.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Valid driver’s license.
- Certifications in Food Safety, HACCP and GMP’s preferred.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.