The Loblaw International team, is a team of highly skilled Vendor Development Managers (VDM’s) spanning across the world driving product innovation, quality and company specifications, in a customer centric environment.
The Loblaw International team is an extension of a much larger team, working in tandem with the Fresh Procurement team to assist in strengthening our current vendor relationships and performance while sourcing new sustainable partnerships built around a direct to source model.
About the Role:
This role will support the Northeastern US and Mid-Atlantic states and requires regular travel throughout the territory twelve months of the year. As the VDM for the NE US, you would be the main point of contact for vendors within the area, including the shipping ports of entry. You will be required to maintain, build and develop relationships year-round. In addition, you would be overseeing the quality assurance, inspecting and evaluating outbound fresh commodities at source to ensure it meets Loblaw standards. In this role, you conduct regular communication with various areas of the business (Fresh Procurement, Merchandising, Supply Chain, QA and LI team) regarding vendor quality, field conditions, supply, and opportunity buys.
Who we are Looking For:
We are excited for an individual with the following qualities to join our team:
- Energetic team player who values partnerships and collaboration built on trust and respect
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills and ability to build long lasting relationships
- Confident and capable problem solver who strives for excellence when achieving results
- Process improvement mindset that identifies solutions for how we can continuously improve
- Motivated self-starter who takes initiative and can multi-task efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Detail-oriented and organized with a creative mindset – always thinking outside the box
- Committed to making the right decisions for our customers and colleagues
- Enjoys travel and the flexible/diverse nature in which this role regularly provides
What You’ll do:
The successful candidate will oversee the following core responsibilities:
- Inspect and evaluate outbound purchase orders to ensure product meets our specifications for quality (size, weight, brix, color, taste, decay etc.) and adhering to CFIA government inspection standards.
- Partner and collaborate with vendors to develop new plant varieties, unique items, innovation
- Support Category Directors to source new vendors, opportunities and growing areas.
- Manage KPI expectations as it relates to product quality, innovation, service level, food safety compliance, CSR, and research & development.
- Manage QA with vendors by inspecting produce, reject poor quality and follow up as needed
- Ensure compliance with Food Safety standards and other industry and company regulations
- Communicate daily with Category Management, QA and the LI Team to discuss quality issues, vendor rejections, and vendor relations.
- Support Category Directors by gathering and reporting information regarding field/vendor quality, supply volume and weather conditions.
- Monitor vendors for compliance with company policies and guidelines.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years’ experience or education in agriculture, fresh fruits and vegetables
- Thorough knowledge of fresh produce and related items regarding grades, sizes, color, including knowledge of CFIA standards for fresh fruits and vegetables
- Background or exposure to QA is a benefit
- Communicate effectively inter-departmentally and at various levels throughout the organization
- Proficient in Microsoft based software programs, such as Word and Excel
- Ability to obtain clearance at various ports in the region, i.e., TWIC
- Valid driver’s license and credit card, as extensive travel is required
- Valid passport, as travel to Canada may be required periodically
How You’ll Succeed:
At Loblaw, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
Type of Role:
Loblaw recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired.
Please Note: If you have Employee Self Service (ESS) on Workday, apply to this job via the Workday application.